• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear differential

KenDemp

Donation Time
Sold the hubs and axles off the rear end. That leaves only the differential with any potential value. I have to bring what's left to the scrap yard, and I will likely do that next weekend, 8/23, so speak up soon if it's something you need or think you might need. I will listen to any offers.

Ken

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Differential

Ken,

As it happens, I need a differential for my Sunbeam Alpine Series II. Will yours do? My son-in-law, who lives in San Diego, is looking after the restoration of my 1962 Sunbeam Alpine Series II. Are you close? Let me know what you think the condition of your differential is in and if it makes sense to ship it to San Diego should we come to some accommodation.
Regards,
Mike

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
There is a difference in the axles?

Hope you have some good luck with finding what you need. (If the part Ken has for sale is the rear from the SV you may have difficulty).

But, I believe the SII and SV axles are different> The hubs are for sure.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Differential

DanR,

You are probably correct, DanR, but I couldn't tell from Ken's post what series of Sunbeam he was parting out. That is why I asked him to let me know if it would fit my Series II and what condition it is in. If the differential is for a Series V, I guess I'm out of luck. I'm new to this game and need all the help I can get. I do need a differential, and soon. My son-in-law has scheduled my car into Smitty's next week for a new transmission and clutch. It would be nice if I could get a new differential to install at that time. Smitty's doesn't have a differential for my car so I may be driving it with a slight whine until I can find a better one.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
One difference between the differentials is

Series 1 and Early series 2 uses a coarse spline half shaft whereas late series 2 through series 5 uses a fine spline half shaft.

I found this out the hard way:D

Rootes Spares in Holland may have parts for a rebuild.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Differential

Thanks, Alpine Addict, for your information. I have sent off an email to Rootes Spares in Holland to see if they can do anything for me and at what cost. They have a differential gear set that might do.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
email to Rootes Spares

George,
I don't know if this is a good omen, but minutes after I sent the email I received a return email from them saying that their email address had changed. Here it is: Sorry for the inconvenience.
We have changed to a new email adress:

Sunbeamparts@hotmail.com

kind regards,

Rootes Parts Service

While I haven't yet received an answer to my query regarding the differential, I am hopeful. It could be you sent your email to them with the old address and they failed to inform you of this new one. You might try a second email to them.

Last edited:

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
If you don't receive an e-mail reply in a couple of days, send a follow-up-mail. I had sent an initial inquiry and did not receive a response. After a week without a response, I sent a follow-up e-mail and they responded that they had not received my first e-mail. I was able to complete the order within a couple of days through e-mail.

Mike

KenDemp

Donation Time
Hi Folks! I need to check in more often!

The diff is indeed a SV differential. I can't speak to the compatibility, but from the replies here, I assume it's not compatible with SII.

George, I assume you are talking about an email to the Rootes spares folks? I never got an email from you.

Ken

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Folks! I need to check in more often!

The diff is indeed a SV differential. I can't speak to the compatibility, but from the replies here, I assume it's not compatible with SII.

George, I assume you are talking about an email to the Rootes spares folks? I never got an email from you.

Ken

Thanks, KenDemp, for the reply. I am already looking elsewhere in hopes of locating one for my SII.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you don't find a differential, I have a source for you on the west coast that will have it.

Paul

DanR,

You are probably correct, DanR, but I couldn't tell from Ken's post what series of Sunbeam he was parting out. That is why I asked him to let me know if it would fit my Series II and what condition it is in. If the differential is for a Series V, I guess I'm out of luck. I'm new to this game and need all the help I can get. I do need a differential, and soon. My son-in-law has scheduled my car into Smitty's next week for a new transmission and clutch. It would be nice if I could get a new differential to install at that time. Smitty's doesn't have a differential for my car so I may be driving it with a slight whine until I can find a better one.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
If you don't find a differential, I have a source for you on the west coast that will have it.

Paul

Thanks, Paul.

Looks like I may need it. My car goes into the Smitty's shop today. Could you share your source so I can contact him/her?

Last edited:

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
Differential gear ratio

I dont see mention of what ratio you are looking for.

Some are more useful (and less common) than others.

You are correct; that is why the car is in Smitty's. Smitty's will advise me re the gear ratio and then I will either order the set from Holland or try to find someone who has that gear ration for sale.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
You are correct; that is why the car is in Smitty's. Smitty's will advise me re the gear ratio and then I will either order the set from Holland or try to find someone who has that gear ration for sale.

Wouldnt matter a lick to me whats in the car. To me I would choose based on what transmission and what type of driving I would be doing.

If the trans is an OD, to keep it stock, I would install a 4.22 or to make a better driver I would install a 3.89.

If the trans is not an OD I would install a 3.89 or buy a 3.70 gearset and enjoy the lower revs.

Most SVs are 4.22 regardless of what the trans is.

mamoose124

Gold Level Sponsor
differential gear ratios

Wouldnt matter a lick to me whats in the car. To me I would choose based on what transmission and what type of driving I would be doing.

If the trans is an OD, to keep it stock, I would install a 4.22 or to make a better driver I would install a 3.89.

If the trans is not an OD I would install a 3.89 or buy a 3.70 gearset and enjoy the lower revs.

Thanks for the suggestions, RootesRacer. I'm rather a novice when it comes to gear ratios vis a vis transmissions, etc. At this juncture, I'm uncertain what the new transmission for my car will be; it could have OD. We will see. That is why, I am deferring to Smitty's and my son-in-law for advice on what ratio would be most appropriate.

Explain why you think the OD with the 3.89 would "make a better driver." As far as a 3.70 gearset, I'm uncertain where one might get hold of one. The only offer I have so far is for gear sets 4.22 & 3.89 from Rootes Parts Service in Holland. Otherwise, I have no leads what so ever for a differential.

RootesRooter

Donation Time

A little over the first half of SV production were all 4.22's.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don't forget that if you change the differential gear ratio you will need to address the delta with the speedometer. Otherwise, the mph reading and odometers will be off.

Mike