• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear bumper/trunk lock access

67Survivor

Donation Time
Hey guys,
My Series V rear bumper looks to be mounted correctly, but I can't get a key into the trunk lock because the bumper partially covers the lock button. Has anyone else had this issue? Is it as simple as swapping the mounts from one side to the other or some such thing? Basically, the bumper is either too high or too close. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you,
Rob

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I discussed this issue with some other owners recently, and it was suggested to me that I go to the Lowe's Depot and get some spacers or a stack of washers. Allegedly spacers existed at some point in our bumpers' history, but they've since disappeared.*

A previous owner of my car ended up getting a copy of the boot key made and cutting off half of it.

*I haven't checked the parts list to confirm the accuracy of that statement.

JonPiz

Donation Time
re

the spacers were made from aluminium and over time they corroded and fell apart. They are about 1" long. Easy part to make

67Survivor

Donation Time
Thanks Greg,

I am taking the bumper in for rechroming today, so when I get it back, I will stack in some washers.
Have a great day,
Rob

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Attached are photos of the bumper hardware I have on my series V. The split lock washer and spacer are providing the 'spacing'. Dimensions of the spacer: ID=0.53" x OD=0.877" x Length=0.623".

The distance from my trunk button to the bumper is just a tad less than 1.5".

Good luck!

Mike

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

67Survivor

Donation Time
Good news, I found the missing spacers when I removed the bumper. They were on the wrong side of the bumper mounting bracket. I'm feeling a bit stupid for having asked this question before really looking into it, but the simplicity of the drooping front bumper (reverse the mounts) repair taught me to ask first and scrape knuckles second.
Thanks again, or I probably would have put it back together the way it was.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hopefully the rear valence wasn't damaged without the spacers being used.

Here is another photo after assembly. It is an RG50 grommet from Sunbeam Specialties providing the seal around the spacer.

Mike

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 80

67Survivor

Donation Time
Yes Mike, mine looks exactly like that only crushed in and mangled... but I wont need a grommet... Ah well, more work to do.

Attachments

• IMG_3519(1).JPG
    IMG_3519(1).JPG
    43 KB · Views: 55

65beam

Donation Time
bumper spacers

The guys at a shop in Dayton have found several different lengths were used over the years.

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
You can make your own spacers out of round steel stock. The nice thing about making your own is you can make each its own length, and adjust for slight differences in each side. Your bumper will be the same distance on each side and look perfect.

mightyohm

Donation Time
Do the early cars (Series II) also have spacers? That might explain why I had to add a stack of washers to space the rear bumper out on my car.

gary1725

Donation Time
they are not simply spacers - they pass through the grommet in the rear valance (thus creating a seal to stop water ingress) and bottom out on the chassis leg creating a solid mounting pedestal to bolt against - if you just put spacers against the rear valance you do not really have a solid foundation against which to tighten the bumper, you can always use spacers for adjustment on the end of that pedestal (or use different length pedestals as suggested) - or perhaps I misunderstood some of the commentary..

mightyohm

Donation Time
Gary - thanks for the information. It sounds more complicated than I thought. Is there a picture of the correct assembly somewhere? I couldn't find a diagram in the parts manual for the Alpine.

The bracket that supports the rear bumper on my car is slightly deformed and bent inwards - I always assumed the car had been tapped and the bumper pushed in, but now it seems that maybe the spacers are missing and the bolts were overtightened, which flattened the bracket. (or both!)

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Someone cranked the bracket down without the spacer. A tap in the rear with the spacer in place would not cause that kind of deformation. It really makes you wonder what someone was thinking when they were doing it. "Wow, I'm deforming a lot of metal back here, but I guess that's just the way it is."

Mike

65beam

Donation Time

mightyohm

Donation Time
65beam - That makes sense, thank you. I tried to find an assembly drawing in the parts book but I don't think there is one.

Mike - Yes, my guess is that the previous owner (my late father in law) was in a hurry (2 small children at the time of the restoration), a little over his head on the resto, and didn't have the proper manuals or the internet to guide him. Luckily there isn't really any functional damage, it's just cosmetic, and not even visible with the bumper installed. I do want to fabricate a spacer so I can get rid of the stacked washers, and will try to improvise a replacement sealing washer that keeps water out of the trunk despite the distortion to the bracket.