• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear brakes binding

65beam

Donation Time
brakes

i have never understood why owners do not take their cars to shows. especially with all that goes on in your area. if you have the cars you mention, i would be out and about showing them all the time.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
August, 2012. New Hope Auto Show. Enjoy, Brad.

9zrdcl.jpg

65beam

Donation Time
brakes

this looks like a decent show. where is it held? it appears there is no classification by marques. why is that?

Nickodell

Donation Time
i have never understood why owners do not take their cars to shows. especially with all that goes on in your area. if you have the cars you mention, i would be out and about showing them all the time.

I took Matilda to a show once. Propped a card on her bonnet describing what she was and a brief history of the model and Sunbeam. In the whole afternoon not a single person stopped by. Everyone was drooling over early Corvettes (some of the ugliest cars, IMHO, ever), chopped and channeled specials (ditto) and admittedly lovely 1950s Bel Airs.

Never again.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
this looks like a decent show. where is it held? it appears there is no classification by marques. why is that?

New Hope, PA. I've exhibited cars there since 1973, and in the mid-70's won 1st place in the Ferrari Division with a Ferrari 330GTC that I had restored from a shunted car.

And it is classified by marques. If you examine the photo you'll see that MG's are down the whole of the left side and Triumphs are coming up on the right until the Triumph Stag, at which point the 911 is the start of the Porsches which then wrap around to the next isle. This is a very small portion of this show. Here are photos of the individual cars attending the show.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Kevin,

nice variety of cars and decent turnout from all the marques attending...

That said,, we are now a fair way from the brakes. i saw matts SVGt at the motoclassica show today, so assume his brakes are now sorted.

mattinoz

Donation Time
Might attempt to bring this back on topic...sheez
anyway pull the left rear hub off to discover the slave cylinder clips missing allowing the slave to float around, this I think being the cause of the shoes dragging. Anyway fitted new clips and proceeded to bleed the system. This is where things got interesting.
Unlocked the bleed screw and applied pedal....nothing. full pedal. Couldn't push any fluid thru the rears..none.
long story short, the flexy hose to the rears was totally blocked. Replaced same. Now I have all 4 wheels in the braking scenario.

Sorry Michael just saw your post even if I didn't at motorclassica :)

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yeah, Matt, I'm hearing this a LOT with regard to hoses. It's strange, because I never used to hear of brake hoses clogging, yet in the past 2-3 years I've been hearing about it more and more... it's virtually epidemic.

Since most of these cars seem to be running the original brake lines, I wonder if that rubber is reaching end-of-life for all our cars at around the same time? In which case, perhaps we should *all* change out the lines on our cars... being almost like a service bulletin. (Mine were all changed out over the years, so I might have a few more years yet... at least I hope so...)

alpine_64

Donation Time
Kevin,

My SII had what looked like he original rear hose when i crawled under it early this year.. i was horrified at how petrefied it looked.. cracks all over.. that said it was not leaking. I replaced it the next week as i didnt feel safe after what i had seen. I was wonering if the hoses maybe end up like brake hoses on the front. they collapse on the imside and seal shut leaving the brakes jammed on.

Matt, i have to say you flew the flag for the sunbeams.. seems you were the only one of the alpines that could be bothered washing and polishing before the show... made your car stand out and the others look rather tired.... bit sad given the kind of exposure they get at an event like that.

Paul N.

Donation Time
. . . . . I was wonering if the hoses maybe end up like brake hoses on the front. they collapse on the imside and seal shut leaving the brakes jammed on.

Yes they do. It's the same internal softening which happens with the hydraulic seals - they soak up conventional polyglycol brake fluid. It can mislead people into thinking there's a servo fault but the difference is that it'll only be one of the fronts or both rears that are locked on and the brake lights won't be on. A servo or master cylinder fault will leave all brakes and the brake lights on.

Paul N.

Donation Time
Going back to the handbrake:- don't ignore it like a lot of Americans seem to! If you don't use it frequently, the cable will start to bind and eventually seize up which also, obviously, causes the rears to drag.

mattinoz

Donation Time
Kevin,

My SII had what looked like he original rear hose when i crawled under it early this year.. i was horrified at how petrefied it looked.. cracks all over.. that said it was not leaking. I replaced it the next week as i didnt feel safe after what i had seen. I was wonering if the hoses maybe end up like brake hoses on the front. they collapse on the imside and seal shut leaving the brakes jammed on.

Matt, i have to say you flew the flag for the sunbeams.. seems you were the only one of the alpines that could be bothered washing and polishing before the show... made your car stand out and the others look rather tired.... bit sad given the kind of exposure they get at an event like that.

Thanks Michael, yes I put in about an hours worth of elbow grease for the day :) Here are a few pics of the event

Attachments

• IMG_0509_sm.jpg
    IMG_0509_sm.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0510_sm.jpg
    IMG_0510_sm.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 17

mattinoz

Donation Time
and a couple more. Mal Clarkes magnificent blue Alpine complete with celeb on board and a Renown for Kevin

Attachments

• IMG_0525_sm.jpg
    IMG_0525_sm.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0519_sm.jpg
    IMG_0519_sm.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 16

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for the Renown pic - VERY nice!

One thing my car has that I've never really seen on another Renown is the Ace Mercury trim rings - like on the Alpines, the trim ring covers the entire rim, from nave plate (hubcap) to the edge of the rim. I'm not sure if I like the wheels with or without them... this car looks great with the black rims, but then the trim rings on my car make the wheels look more "Rolls Royce"-ish, with a full chrome centre.

You can sorta see the trims in this photo from 24 years ago. Yours truly trying his best to look very "James Bond". Clearly not succeeding. (Oh, and the car has continued to look great, whereas I... well... *sigh*)

MyRenown.jpg