• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rear brake lines

jzuk7

Donation Time
I'm replacing all of the brake lines in my SV. For the rear brakes, is there a benefit to putting a T on the rear axle and running a line to each wheel? Or should I just run everything stock? It just seems odd how it was done from the factory with the line going from the hose to the passenger side and then to the driver side and with one bleeder.

Thanks!

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
My assumption is that the stock setup, without a Tee is done as a cost savings, requiring only a bleed on one side. Seems kinda natural, after bleeding both sides on thousands of cars that someone might suggest - why not skip the tee, run the lines in series and just need to bleed one side. So far I cannot think of a down side to this, or any advantage of using a tee.

Tom

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I personally do not like the single bleed option on my SV. I think Chrysler did a cheapo job. I also believe you can waste more fluid while attempting to bleed after new line and cylinder installation. Just my few sense worth.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, I don't understand why you do not like the single bleed. Why would the single bleed process waste more fluid? To bleed each side you need to bleed fluid into a jar until no bubbles appear. With a tee, it seems if you replace either side line, you still need to bleed both sides to be sure no air got into the non replaced side. You will drain the whole unreplaced side of fluid before the bubbles appear. With single bleed , if you replace the downstream side you'll have mostly air come out while bleeding until good fluid starts to come from the upstream side. If you replace the upstream side you'll have a similar situation to the Tee situation, but with a larger loss due to the long line across the car. But there's a 50/50 chance that you'll be on the less fluid loss situation . AND you'll only need to do the bleed process once. It saved Chrysler some time and seems your time is worth saving as well.

But I think we're simply arguing about "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin" :rolleyes:

Tom

Charles Johns

Donation Time
I am going to replace all my lines the way the factory did it using the OEM lines as guides. I agree with Tom...and only 3 angels can dance on the head of a pin, and they must not country line-dance. Just not enough room.