• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ready to fire it up.

napa 1

Donation Time
Help please. Restored gas tank, new Carter electric fuel pump, new fuel lines, ,new weber 32/36 carb...new water pump, hoses, thermostat, new plugs, wires, points, rotor, cap....new starter, coil, generator, belt, starter solenoid, regulator. Fresh gas in the tank, Battery charged up. Radiator filled with new fluid..no leaks. Oil topped up. I found TDC and aligned the distributor with #1 cylinder, attached wires 1,3,2,4. All seems in place...but I'm afraid to turn the key! :eek: (Engine ran before I replaced everything). Is there a sequence of checks that I should do before I attempt to fire her up? My main concern is that I probably don't have the distributor set properly...(it was removed). I've been reading everything I can get my hands on regarding setting the timing. Thanks in advance for any experience you can share.

John.

Buckeye64

Donation Time
John

Just turn the key and see what happens!!!
Sounds like you have things covered, have faith in yourself and turn that key!!!

If the engine ran before you started replacing items, I would have replaced things one at a time and made sure the engine started after each item was installed. Other then that, just go and turn that key!!

Nickodell

Donation Time
The only thing that could be expensive would be if you didn't get oil pressure within 20 seconds or so after starting. O.P. is like the pulse of the engine, and the oil its lifeblood (poetic, yes?:) ). If your battery is fully-charged, you might want to turn the engine over for 30 seconds without using the choke, to get the oil pump primed and start the oil circulating. I would also put a couple of teaspoonsful of Marvel Mystery Oil in each cylinder so as to give the walls and rings something to start with instead of dry metal to metal.

Then start up and keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge. You should see movement of the needle in 10 seconds or so full pressure in 20.

I would also add a quart of M. M. Oil to a full tank of gas (less, of course, to a partial one, in proportion) to give some upper cylinder lube.

Next, if you have an ammeter, check that it kicks over to about 6 to 10 amps charge as soon as the engine fires up, then settles back to about 1 or 2 amps running. Switch on all the accessories (lights, fan, etc.) and make sue the amps stay just on the plus (+) or "charge" side.

Enjoy!

S

Steve Kirk

Before I start an engine for the first time I remove the plugs and turn the engine over until the oil pressure builds up to the required level. Then I replace the plugs and start the engine up.

Wombat

Donation Time
Oil seems to be a common thread. When I started my Hillman Hunter engine after rings and big ends, I (under my Father's guidance) filled the oil passages in the oil filter base (less air to displace before oil gets to the bearings). This was with a spin-on filter, don't know if it is possible with the earlier type. Other than that, everything that everyone else has said, Then as it warm up, look for oil and water leaks.

Good Luck

Oh, and fuel leaks

napa 1

Donation Time
I found TDC and aligned the distributor with #1 cylinder, attached wires 1,3,2,4.
OOPS, Of course I meant 1,3,4,2 .
I re-read a previous thread about adjusting timing, etc. Last question (yeah right!) before I try starting it....If I have timing mark lined up for tdc, and have rotor pointing to terminal in cap for #1 cylinder..is that the correct starting point?
Thanks for the pointers re Oil Pressure, I'll be sure to keep my eye on that.

John.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, sounds like you are ready to go. Only thing I see that may be wrong: Distributor 180 degrees out of time. The engine must be on the compression stroke when you wire the distributor. Does not sound like you checked that, so there is a 50-50 chance of it being right.

But you will know if that has happened, it will not fire. It is no big deal, just move the wires 180 degrees the distributor cap. Swap wires #1 and #4, #3 and #2. Nothing will be harmed.

Bill

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
It´s rather simple to check whether distributor is correctly timed or 180 degrees out. Just take off the valve cover - it´s ok to leave it off during first start anyway - and check whether #1 cylinder inlet & exhaust valves are completely closed at TDC mark. Easy to check if you try to turn the pushrods by fingers. If they are under load they won´t turn easily. If they do turn easily and you can move them a bit up or down against the valve lash then you´re at correct TDC (compression stroke) . You still can leave the valve cover off for first start since this will also allow you to control correct oil supply to the rockers. Don´t rev the engine to high because oil will splash around but for idling and up to 2500 rpm it will work.

Bernd