• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Ray Pickering Alpine....

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
Here's an interesting memory of the Ray Pickering Alpine. Paul Burch wrote:

"I knew Ray when he was in Lawrence; I was a student at Kansas State (Manhattan, KS) at the time and we were both in the Kansas Region SCCA. I can't remember the name of his shop right off.

In any case the Moss-Pickering Alpine had another owner in addition to the one you named. Another KU student, Keith Thomas, owned it for awhile. He was the one (I think) that blew up the original "special" engine that was in the car. Ray used to tell an anecdote about Thomas blowing it up. He said he told Keith when he sold it to him "whatever you do don't over-rev it; if it blows up we probably can't duplicate it." Well, Keith promptly over-revved it and blew it up. He said when they opened the hood Keith spotted what he thought was a deep-well socket laying in the engine bay and when he tried to pick it up it was hot. Turned out it was a wrist pin . . ."

This was a really cool car.... neat history, too. Thomas did very well with it.

Steve