• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radiator to body bolt holes + 4

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello,

The rain returned, closing down my shade tree for a while, so I am reviewing some questions on the S IV.

Attached is a photo of the radiator.

On each side of the radiator, there are unused holes for mounting....?

By the appearance, "something" was there at one time, but what?

Maybe a larger radiator?

Hopefully it was not important, as it's gone now.

Your comments would be very much appreciated.

Allan

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
As near as I can tell, the holes have no use on the Alpine. At least I've never seen them used for OEM equipment. They are very useful when blocking the horn cutout holes. Also handy when mounting air conditioning condensers.

Bill

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Allan,

Is it possible that an early series cross flow radiator could have been used in the car at one time?

lemansvk

Donation Time
Allan,

I could fill a book with the mysteries I found when restoring my S3. For example, why did it have an S2 Horn ring?, why were the brake drum retaining bolts on the left rear totally different to those in the right? what happened to the correct fuel cap and rear view mirror?

Best to recognise that trying to explain the behaviour of previous owners is best left to "The X files" (I think they would even baffle CSI and Cold Case)

Cheers, Vic

65beam

Donation Time
extra holes

these openings are on the radiator support on my series 4 but they are not drilled open. on an original series 4 they served no purpose thus no drilling of the opening.series 4 cars did not have the crossflow radiator.if you guys have questions about what was original on a series 4 ask me .i have one in my garage and has been all it's life.