• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Rack and pinion in Alpine

Alpine66

Donation Time
Now that I have the plugs I sorted and identified the function of the wiring from the steering column. Now ready to make a bracket and install.

Attachments

• IMG_20140906_181630 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20140906_181630 - Copy.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 88

Alpine66

Donation Time
Ugh, ordered the wrong size ujoint from summit.
Looked like a 5/8 at the column but was a 17mm. Should have used the calipers the first time.....
Try that on for size the next couple of days then make the connections to the rack. Hope the firewall flange has enough angle on it.

Alpine66

Donation Time
Good grief this was quite the challenge. Got the correct steering column u joint and then was able to connect to the mg rack after some machining. What a bear!

Will connect the hubs next and see what happens. I can tell its an Armstrong steering as I don't have a lot of turns stop to stop out of the mg rack, but at least it will soon be drive able.

miket

Donation Time
I know the R&P steering is tough. I've considered adding power steering. Do you have a photo you can post? How is the position of the rack relative to the ends of the steering arms?
Mike

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The Midget rack is 2.5 to 1. MGB chrome bumper 3 to 1, rubber bumper 3.5 to 1(much easier). There is a Tiger build in NZ that used a Miata power rack with MR2 electric power steering pump. Would like to see pictures of your setup. Check and adjust for bump steer.

Alpine66

Donation Time
Thanks Mike and Jim
I'll take a pic and post when I get a chance.

I centered the rack and fab'd brackets that are welded to the motor mount posts. Kept it tight to the cross member in front and just under the body.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Thanks Mike and Jim
I'll take a pic and post when I get a chance.

I centered the rack and fab'd brackets that are welded to the motor mount posts. Kept it tight to the cross member in front and just under the body.

I would love to see how you mounted the tack.what about the Ackerman angles
Have done this 3 times. Mounted to a much modified and reinforced crossmember.