• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

race car

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

Another couple of pictures for us all to drool over ;) . I noticed on your car and a few other race cars that you no longer use the original filling points. Is this part of the regulations, or is it more for weight savings?

Regards, Robin.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Hi Robin,
Not sure exactly what you are refering to? The fuel filler? I removed mine since it serves no function with a fuel cell.
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Robin,
Not sure exactly what you are refering to? The fuel filler? I removed mine since it serves no function with a fuel cell.
Bill

Hi Bill,

Sorry, I should have said fuel filling point (fuel cap). I was just curious as to whether it was racing regulation or purely your choice for its removal.

Thanks, Robin.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Hi Robin
I removed it for personal taste as I did the door handles, trunk handle, trunk hinges, wipers, sprayers, fresh air intake vents etc.
Bill

skywords

Donation Time
Why not just weld the doors shut making smoother sides and added a boat load more strength to the body? Not much effort to step into the car.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Why not just weld the doors shut making smoother sides and added a boat load more strength to the body? Not much effort to step into the car.

Rick i think you would find the regulations state you need to have things like doors, working headlights and brake lights etc in a road sports class.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Michael is correct. I did strengthen the body, reducing flex, with a six point roll bar. Also, the door latches are long pegs, not the stock locks, so they will withstand body impact. Most of what was done to this car is according to the various club specs. Other refinements were based on the experience of long time racers. And then of course there were things done to my personal taste--trunk lid vents (vents the fuel cell), side mirrors mounted to the body not the doors, rolled wheel arches and the list goes on.
Bill

BLISTIC

Donation Time
I have to say that I like it ALOT!

I was looking to do something similar. It is great to see a good example.
Rethinking that windshield. Although I did see a Lotus 7 driving with deflector last weekend.