• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Race Car Engine Photo

atallamcs

Donation Time
Finally, after years this car is about done. I took this shot today--still has a ways to go--need to safety wire a few items, mark the critical nuts and hoses. The devil is in the details.
Best,
Bill

wipeout

Donation Time
That is a piece of artwork. Absolutely fabulous. What a gorgeous labor of love....man...that just blows me away....could you post more pics? :eek:

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Looks just like mine except there is no dirt, the wires are neat and sanitary, the paint looks good, there is a Weber side draft, the organization is outstanding and everything is shiny. Otherwise, no difference. (And your probably runs too...)

Are you going to run it this year? If so, where?

atallamcs

Donation Time
race car

No turbo--it is probably the unusual intake manifold, not often seen. Club racing would not allow a turbo. It is just a built 1725 with a side draft weber 45 DCOE on a Lynx manifold.
Bill

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bill,
So you milled the manifold to remove the slant on the head side surface?
(I have one too and thinking about putting it on my new Lemans)
Jan

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bill,
So you milled the manifold to remove the slant on the head side surface?
(I have one too and thinking about putting it on my new Lemans)
Jan

jan IIRC the one Bill is using he got from AU and is the hunter slanted one.. Lynx did produce the single DCOE manifold for the upright motor too. I guess in theory it would be even better if they did the alpine/upright one slanted slightly upwards between 5-7 degrees.. apparently this is advantageous with DCOE's more so that straight in.

atallamcs

Donation Time
Lynx

Actually we did nothing to the manifold except grind off the word Lynx. We left the word Alpine on it and then sent it to the shop for a quick polish.
Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Actually we did nothing to the manifold except grind off the word Lynx. We left the word Alpine on it and then sent it to the shop for a quick polish.
Bill

bill my bad.. sorry for that i though i remebered it being a hunter one.. the alpine ones are rather rare comparatively.

atallamcs

Donation Time
engine photo--update

About done with the details in the engine. I will run less restrictive air filters than shown. Need only a few heat shields under the carb and the slave cylinders.

Bill

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
So Bill, I gotta ask...
With a car as beautifully done as yours, inside and out, are you actually going to drive it on a race track with other cars? :eek: Are you nu-- sorry... I meant to say, how do you plan to attach the 50-foot diameter circle of traveling concrete barriers to protect you from other drivers?

Ken

atallamcs

Donation Time
Race Car

Hey Ken,
I figure it this way--I have only one option--get out front early and stay there.
Best,
Bill

64beam

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

Your engine looks fantastic :cool: . Where are the vents located in the engine bay? Are you going for the mesh style trumpets covers instead of the socks?

Regards, Robin.

atallamcs

Donation Time
race car

Thanks Robin,

The vents come through at the corner of the firewall and the side of the car. I am going with the new mesh type.

And Michael, as for lapping the MG's--I see them like the cones in autocross, something to go around without catching one under the front valance.

Bill

atallamcs

Donation Time
Vent exits

To better answer your question about where the vents appear in the engine bay. See picture.
Thanks
Bill