• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

race bumpers

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

I thought most racers removed the bumpers for weight saving or are you required to have them on in certain race categories?

Regards, Robin.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I thought the bumpers were an interesting item, but have no info on when they might be required.

Allan

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
No, I don't believe there is a race category/class that requires bumpers. Unless there was a production car class in England that was specific to the area.

Rally? Maybe but I doubt they would last long and technically, in the day, I believe they would be prohibited in the rules.

Steve

64beam

Donation Time
I thought the bumpers were an interesting item, but have no info on when they might be required.

Allan

Hi Allan,

They are very interesting and if weight saving was important, they would definately be worth it. I was wondering if fibreglass can be chrome plated? Painting just does not seem right. I'm just used to nice chrome bumpers.

Regards, Robin.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Hi Allan,

They are very interesting and if weight saving was important, they would definately be worth it. I was wondering if fibreglass can be chrome plated? Painting just does not seem right. I'm just used to nice chrome bumpers.

Regards, Robin.

You can chrome plate it, you can also paint them with soft chrome, but they are not much good to anyone as any series that would allow them would allow you to run without bumpers. I guess they could be used to lighten a street car.. but again.. they are nt goign to do much in an carpark when someone fractures them while being careless..

they are like an answer to a question nobody asked

thequick

Donation Time
Too bad they don't have a layer of carbon weave on top. They'd be a hit with the Fast and Furious crowd!