• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

pump pully

artic cat

Donation Time
I bought this car in a box and does not have the water pump pulley. I bought one but it is to short, belt is off buy about one grove (short). does anyone know of a direct replacement for the pulley?

alpine_64

Donation Time
There was a guy in TEAE that was making replacement pulleys in aircraft ally and was based on the smaller A/C pulley so you got more fan speed.. do you want his details.. think they were around $75.. but dont hold me to that!

alpine_64

Donation Time
yea I would like to get the specs on that pully. thanks.
Steve

They were making them in aluminium.. they were 120 each +15 for anodizing and 6 for postage...

email is: r woolridge (AT) in sight *dot* rr *dot* com

remove all spaces

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
As far as I know the stock pullies are still avalable, I have the Ford part number if you need it. They are high priced:eek:

artic cat

Donation Time
pic

a picture is worth a thousand words. I thought after taking this pic it could be the damper pully that is wrong. take a look and let me know what you think.
I would like that ford part number. thanks
Steve

Attachments

• Dscf2157sml.jpg
    Dscf2157sml.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 32

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
What is the depth of both pulleys? I assume there is nothing behind the pump pulley? Is this on a 260? Try putting the generator or alternator on and see what lines up.

And here's a thought, maybe you have the wrong water pump.

Don't know if this will help, but it shows the various pulleys and part numbers. Scroll down for water pump pulleys.

http://mustangtek.com/pulley/Pulley.html

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Pump may be wrong but the pullies for Tiger were Industrial Ford fork lift, they set back more than the stock Ford part!!:cool:

mikephillips

Donation Time
From what I see, the crank pulley looks correct, water pump appears to be a wrond on as the original doesn't have a kink in it between the mount and the groovev like this appears to. However, as pointed out, the pump may apso not be correct since the Tiger version has the flange on the shaft pressed closer to the pump body which if wrong may make up for the mismatch.

65beam

Donation Time
pulley

from what i understand, the engines were industrial motors and not automotive motors.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The engines and pullies were from a 260 Ford fork left, nothing diff about the engines but the pullies were sure diff. may check the pump it was stock Ford but the mount was removed and flipped over and pressed down closer to the pump body I think it was to within 1/8 inch.:cool:

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Why from a forklift? Were there other parts that were more compact? Or are you all just messing with me?

mikephillips

Donation Time
Clearance to the rack I'd guess. It was probably the only thing they had that worked without making a Tiger specific part. Combined with the fact that Tiger engines came from Ford's industrial engine plant, everything was already in place so that there was a minimum number of bits that needed to be made for the project.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I just found a post in another forum that says the Tiger 260s were actually underbored 289s that were produced on the industrial engine line because the 260 was no longer in production and that Rootes was reluctant to put the more powerful 289 in the Tiger.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Tiger blocks are not underbored 289s, easiest way to make a boat anchor is to try to bore to 4" diameter cylinders. That incorrect information has been circulating for years and is based on the fact that the first 220/260 blocks had 2 freeze plugs per side. When the 289 was changed to 3 the then industrial 260 castings changed as well and this lead some to think they were 289 blocks on the assumption that the 260 casting would never change. Since the change was to make the casting easier to clean out before machine work started, and the only real difference between the two was cylinder diameter, I don't see why some would have assumed they'd have difference masters for creating the casting cores.

artic cat

Donation Time
yikes

:eek:I hope it is not the wrong pump. does anyone know if this is the correct one? more pictures below including part number.

Attachments

• wp1.jpg
    wp1.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 6
  • wp2.jpg
    wp2.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 6
  • wp3.jpg
    wp3.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 5
  • wp number.jpg
    wp number.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 7

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just found a post in another forum that says the Tiger 260s were actually underbored 289s that were produced on the industrial engine line because the 260 was no longer in production and that Rootes was reluctant to put the more powerful 289 in the Tiger.

That's nothing. I have it from a good authority (a guy in the Kroger parking lot) that the 289 was actually a Chevy design. Stated out as a 260. GM didn't like the design and gave (yes, gave) it to Ford.

I don't believe that one, either.
Bill