• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Prototype

65beam

Donation Time
Isn't this silver car a photo of a prototype series 5? I believe it's owned by Rich Vose's father. The other photo shows some of the Alpines in attendance.107_1212 (1).JPG 107_1211.JPG 107_1212 (1).JPG

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
It looks personalized, but why do you think it's a prototype? I never knew that there was one,
what makes this one different? Really curious.

Cheers!
Steve

alpine_64

Donation Time
My guess a Series 5 with an earlier hood emblem. I plan to do the same with my Series 4.
Series I/II bonnet emblem and the MKII Tiger bonnet script ( rapier fastback and sunbeam stilletto script) mounted bellow.

I would assume if its a SV prototype its a late SIV body with fresh air vents and vynil softtop cover?

65beam

Donation Time
The last time I saw this car was five years ago at the SUNI in 2014. I tend to forget some things about cars because we travel several miles (9K miles this year) to British meets / Vintage racing around the country from March thru October. Maybe Rich can fill you in on the car. It was parked next to our car so we talked a lot. This wasn't the first time I've seen it. Just don't remember the details.
Any more pictures of the series 2?
A better side view107_1213.JPG

65beam

Donation Time
The previous photos were on an SD card that I found in the series 5 when we were moving cars after a remodel of one of my storage garages. We bought a new PC last month and when the shop was transferring everything he found that I have in excess of 8000 photos stored. Probably 70 % are Sunbeam related photos taken over the last 15 years. I ran across these three photos when looking for photos of the RHD LeMans. Three rather unique Sunbeams owned by the previous owner of the LeMans. These were taken when I picked up the RHD cars a few years ago.

Attachments

• 100_0602.JPG
    100_0602.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 100_0607.JPG
    100_0607.JPG
    307.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 100_0611.JPG
    100_0611.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 63

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you, GREAT pictures. If you are ever in or around Bakersfield let me know, I am close to Willow Springs and Buttonwillow.

65beam

Donation Time
Tom Hall had his Alpine at this meet. I seem to remember that it had a Nissan engine. I should have photos somewhere.

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The white Alpine with the frog belongs to Bill & Sharon Smith.

I've forgotten the unusual VIN ("B9499999"?) on the Vose's prototype SV, but it appeared to be the real deal. I suspect the hood badges were added later, along with the color.

Last edited:

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I was curious and checked in with Rich Vose to get the background on the car. Here is what he had to say:

That is indeed our SV and it is a SV prototype. Basically a SIV with SV running gear with some notable exceptions. It came from the factory with a 1725cc bottom end mated to a Holbay head and twin Stroms. The head was not ported to match the SV intake and the Stroms had a different needle than the eventual stock choice. Surprisingly, it ran very well with this setup!

It's also the only SV known to exist from the factory as a LHD GT. There are some LHD GT's out there, but they've been non-factory mods. My dad converted it to a soft top in the early 80's. George Fallehy, the father of the Tiger registry, was a close family friend and he was converting a SIV GT body to a soft top and showed my Dad how to do it.

The badges on the bonnet were added by my Dad. It was originally clean of all badges. However, there is an angled Alpine script on the boot lid that is factory. This was the inspiration for Ian's April Fool's SVI photo of the angled Alpine script.

Original body color was Midnight Blue with blue interior.

The most significant item is the VIN number: B94999978 PP GT OD LRO. It should be the first car listed in the SAOCA SV registry.

We are the second owners. My Dad bought the car for a few hundred $$$ in 1974. Car was bone stock when purchased. We still have the original license plate (Coventry registration). The original owner purchased it from a dealer in Birmingham knowing he was moving to the States. He specifically requested a LHD car and this is what they sold him. Worked out great for us!

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks for pursuing the information Jim. Big thanks to Rich for keeping this car on the road and maintaining a historically significant Alpine.