• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Proper millboard trunk panels

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Todd Smith and I are considering placing an order with Woolies in the UK for sheets of their millboard. While we appreciate Rick's plastic, non-warp trunk panels it became clear to us standing next to the 16,000 mile original Series V at the Invasion that our plastic panels just don't cut it.

Here's a link to Woolies: http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-146-millboard.aspx

But before he and I place the order I have two questions for our group:

1. Has anyone found the equivalent here in the US so we can save on shipping?
2. If not, is anyone else interested in joining us for a group order?

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Make a wood template from original panels (e.g. The 16,000 mile Series V we saw at the Invasion). Not sure yet how I would cut and trim the board. Possibly scroll saw with very fine blade.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Make a wood template from original panels (e.g. The 16,000 mile Series V we saw at the Invasion). Not sure yet how I would cut and trim the board. Possibly scroll saw with very fine blade.

Hmm... I suppose that could work, but it's going to leave behind a 'furry' edge instead of the die-cut original. Cutting with a very sharp knife may do better, but hard to do that accurately without a robot.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I would be interested in at least one set. As for finding them here, I remember that a local hardware store sold 4x4 panels that were a very good match c1978, but I have not seen them since. I do look whenever I am somewhere that might have it, but haven't seen it in a long time. Still, it seems hard to believe that no one in the States would have it. I wonder if someone in the UK could look at the Woolies panels and see if we could figure out who manufactures it for them. Maybe we could trace back to a US supplier from that?

fireboltgirl

Donation Time
I have US sources for die cutting and a millboard that is close to the original, although what Woolies offers might be better. I'll post pics of what I can get tomorrow.

Kim
Series III
Tigers I & II

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Kim, If you can get a piece of the material you are talking about so we can compare it to the original it woudl help us make the decision. I will contact Woolies and try to get them to send us a piece to compare too.

Thanks for jumping it to help Kim!

Cheers,

Rootes 66

Donation Time
Scott
Before making a large order, ask for a sample and be sure its exactly what you want, I have used Woolies milboard for a number of years now for the Radio / Speaker boxes and a couple of years ago the texture of the board changed with the face having a plastic like finish. I have problems routing the slots in the new board with the finish "skin" tearing and not cutting clean like the old stuff did.
It still looks good and may stand up better to abrasion and the occasional wetting / damp conditions than their original board, but it is different.
Kevin was right about cutting the board, A very sharp Stanley knife is my preferred method.
Pete

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks Kim, glad I posted this question, especially if you might have a die-cut solution.

John W

Bronze Level Sponsor
It's all in the cut. The right material, yeah, but it's the cut that matters. i have one car made of NICE (looks like factory original) cardboard and one car with the plastic ones that I think look pretty good and are certainly cut to fit correctly, and what literally jumps out about the cardboard ones is the edges look like they were made that way. The trunk brushes the very top of one, just barely, opening and closing and the material didn't fray or spread out. Maybe materials are such that cutting isn't that big a deal. Anyways, if this works out, I'll put in for one set and look forward to however they turn out.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Todd and I had our Series 3s parked right next to the 16,000 mile Series V and what jumped out at me regarding the panels is the originals had a much smaller cut out at the back of the trunk (under the springs) whereas the plastic repros had a much larger cutout, exposing more behind it.

Small details but noticeable when you're parked next to an original survivor.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
FYI I also sent a note to Kip at Kip Motor to see if he has access to correct millboard and could / would produce these panels.

Gitnrusty

Donation Time
FYI I also sent a note to Kip at Kip Motor to see if he has access to correct millboard and could / would produce these panels.

Would this millboard stock be exclusive to UK suppliers? I dont have or need a origonal sample but it might be worthwhile to investigate US antique auto upholstry suppliers. Has this ground already been covered?

tony perrett

Gold Level Sponsor
I have used plain board (called hardboard in UK) and covered it with a matt finish grained black vinyl which gives a durable finish. I varnished the board first to make it waterproof. An alternative would be 3mm plywood.

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Would this millboard stock be exclusive to UK suppliers? I dont have or need a origonal sample but it might be worthwhile to investigate US antique auto upholstry suppliers. Has this ground already been covered?

Part of the reason I posted the question is in the hope that someone was aware of a US source. Woolies happens to have exactly what we need but I find it hard to believe it's exclusive to the UK. I checked a couple of US websites but didn't find any sheets with the black grain.

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Of course die cut would be best, but what if it was cut close, then edge routed with a spiral bit towards the back side, that may give a clean cut.
Just a thought.

Tom j

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
We need to get our hands on someof this stuff and try that Tom. Until we see it and compare it to the original material we may be wasting our time discussing it.

Kim, Did you have some?

I do not mind ordering some if nobody here has a sample.

Cheers,

Series3Scott

Platinum Level Sponsor
Just placed a call to Rick in case SS still offers but they do not - just the plastic ones. Haven't heard back yet from Kip. Sue at Alpine West Mids replied they offer a complete kit made from the right stuff so I've requested pictures. Cost is £46 plus shipping.