• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Project Sunbeam 2-1

afssanders

Donation Time
This was a major project, so I made a short video to help people understand the work involved. Plus you can hear and see stuff work.
There are also images from the last 3 days posted on the 3rd link down. As usual go to the last page for the most up to date images

For anyone new to my project car it would be best to start from the beginning to understand what it's been through.

Image links
http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers#100356
http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers#100309

New images link and one video at the end of the last page here.
http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers#100348

New video link just posted tonight(2-1-09)
http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers/100401

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

You truly are a master craftsman. Great job on the door handles, they look awesome. Good to see you are starting your son at an early age :) .

Regards, Robin.

mackzknife

Donation Time
Wow!

I can't get over not only the quality of your work but how much progress you have made in such a short time.

afssanders

Donation Time
Thank you

Thank you I do appreciate all the compliments by everyone. Really!!

I like to teach my sons and daughter as much as possible even if they have no interest. At least this way they know what's involved in the work. They can then choose if they want to do the work and save some money or pay someone knowing the skills and work needed to do the job. As you can see I'd rather buy the tools and do the work myself.

MackZKnife

I read that you might be interested in doing some bodywork. Just so happens I'll be getting into some of that shortly. I can tell you this much. I've made just about every mistake a person can when it comes to paint and body. I learned there is no shortcuts to work that not only looks good, but lasts for years. Materials and tool make all the difference in this area. What I mean by that is. Your end result is influenced by the quality of products used. They make it easier to get better results. I wish I knew this when I was 17.

In a few weeks if you guys are interested I could post a more detailed explanation on doing bodywork, then you'll probably ever get from those how to books. A person can learn quite a bit from videos in real world conditions. I should do it for my customers anyways, so it'll be no problem.

afssanders

Donation Time
ride height

I've been trying to remember this for a few days now. It finally came to me again. As some of you might be aware I channeled my Sunbeam 2" to get her a bit lower in the front end without sacrificing my travel and bouncing down the road on my snubbers.

Does anyone know of these drop spindles for a Sunbeam I see ever once in awhile? I remember seeing the pictures and they don't look much different then what I have. I believe they came off some other Rootes automobile. Is this true?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I've been trying to remember this for a few days now. It finally came to me again. As some of you might be aware I channeled my Sunbeam 2" to get her a bit lower in the front end without sacrificing my travel and bouncing down the road on my snubbers.

Does anyone know of these drop spindles for a Sunbeam I see ever once in awhile? I remember seeing the pictures and they don't look much different then what I have. I believe they came off some other Rootes automobile. Is this true?

The drop spindles came off later mode minx saloons. They will lower an alpine by about and inch and a bit over stock. However they are not for use on the early style front ends.. but the later style SIV onwards fronts. You could make them work on the early cars with some interchaning of parts but its easier just to get a late model front and bolt it up.. also later modelas are cheaper and easier to rebuild.. but the early metal bushed ones may have a slight edge on handling.. 6 one way half dozen the other.

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Body work

I for one would like to see videos of body work. I am currently at that stage on my project and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

afssanders

Donation Time
Bodywork

I'll make sure that you do. I'll have to enlist the help of my son John Jr. I think I'll be done with my mods by the weekend, so I'll more then likely be sandblasting the parts of the car that I can't scuff. I like to scuff off the paint down to bare metal when ever possible. It ensures good adhesion between the mud and metal and primer and metal. The mud I'll be using and highly recommend is Rage Gold by Evercoat. Very sandable, stick like snot and doesn't shrink as much as cheaper brands. Your bodywork is only as good as the weakest bond.

The tools needed shortly will be as followed

4.5-5" Air sander or an electronic sander. Control is key here.
36 grit disc
Small sandblaster
Hammer and dolly blocks
Mud
Dura glass or some other water proof mud
Spring steel spreaders
A crappy knife
8" Mud Hog
60 grit disc
27" AFS Sander
40 and 60 grit PSA sandpaper

afssanders

Donation Time
Drop spindles

The drop spindles came off later mode minx saloons. They will lower an alpine by about and inch and a bit over stock. However they are not for use on the early style front ends.. but the later style SIV onwards fronts. You could make them work on the early cars with some interchaning of parts but its easier just to get a late model front and bolt it up.. also later modelas are cheaper and easier to rebuild.. but the early metal bushed ones may have a slight edge on handling.. 6 one way half dozen the other.

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you know what you're talking about. I'll have to see where my cars ends up. I haven't ruled out making my own. I have my donor to play with and have come up with a process for doing it. I have just one more thing to think about.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I have a pretty good, nearly new computer that I had built last spring to be ready for serious gaming and video work etc. Your video links shut down all my internet explorer windows in an instant. I can view your picture galleries just fine but not the videos. Not that it's a big a deal (well the loss of 8 separate windows to different sites is a little irritating....) but I did try to see if the car was in primer now as I assume it must be?

afssanders

Donation Time
PC problems

Sorry to hear you had some issues. I have a 7 year old PowerBook G4 (not a gaming mac by any means)that I played the entire video back on. I did download as if I was someone else too. I know that you need quicktime to play them and I also think IE7 is required. If you own a Mac you need a internet connection. :)

I have a pretty good, nearly new computer that I had built last spring to be ready for serious gaming and video work etc. Your video links shut down all my internet explorer windows in an instant. I can view your picture galleries just fine but not the videos. Not that it's a big a deal (well the loss of 8 separate windows to different sites is a little irritating....) but I did try to see if the car was in primer now as I assume it must be?

64beam

Donation Time
Thanks for the info. Sounds like you know what you're talking about. I'll have to see where my cars ends up. I haven't ruled out making my own. I have my donor to play with and have come up with a process for doing it. I have just one more thing to think about.

Hi John,

I saw these on Ebay UK and remembered that you were asking about the spindles. I don't know if they are in your price range, but here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Root...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Regards, Robin.

afssanders

Donation Time
Spindles

I noticed them and have been watching them. I remember what you said about them also. Thank you for watching out for me.