• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Project Sunbeam 1-19

afssanders

Donation Time
I figure I best start a new thread. I have a hard time keeping track of questions. I'm going to start subscribing now.
Today I worked on the three panels that hide the convertible top mechanism. It went pretty good. They didn't fit so good, so I had to cut them up a bit. I also ended up adding onto the two little wing deals, they had big ass gaps I couldn't live with.
I kind of tweaked the convertible top a bit too, so it fits into the hole without rubbing anything.
Oh and I also added onto the part that the latch catches so it never pops open on me.

Do you guys have any good ideas for a personal license plate?

As always go the the end of the page for the latest pictures.

http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers#100348

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Great work

I really enjoy watching your progress on the project. Very inspiring. Makes me think I should be working more.

I notice that you filled the vents in front of the windshield. I am not sure I really know their purpose other than to collect water and become a possible source of leaking. Where and how do they drain and what are the consequenses of closing them.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rob,

The vents you mention are for admitting fresh air into the passenger compartment. They are in a high pressure area, which helps push the air inside the car. That is the only use for them, other than the ones you mention, like collecting leaves and other trash.

Jose

gordonra

Donation Time
Doesn't also push fresh outside air through the heater passages? The center section has an opening possibly to the heater core.

Jim E

Donation Time
hahahaha yeah my stock SV you could have smoked meat under the dash, I know it always made me have that nice smoked tang.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Rob,

The vents you mention are for admitting fresh air into the passenger compartment. They are in a high pressure area, which helps push the air inside the car. That is the only use for them, other than the ones you mention, like collecting leaves and other trash.

Jose

Jose,

When you saw the picture of my car you remarked that the louvers were in a low pressure area. Then cowl vents are in a high pressure area.... I that why I have so much heat in the passenger part? It comes out of the hood then forced into the cowl vents?:eek:

afssanders

Donation Time
cowl vents are filled

Those vents are the only reason my car isn't 100% rust free. There are several location in the car where I can pick up fresh air if I need it.
I'm going to be running two heater cores in the car with two blower motors. One for him and one for her. I like heat and have the space, so WTF.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Nick,

The louvers on your number one are a bit too far back, and are in a higher pressure area. That is why I said they should be a bit farther forward. You may be getting hot air out of the engine compartment and then it get forced into the cabin. I would check to see if the air coming through the vents is hottter than it should be. That air should be only as hot as the ambient air.

Another reason your Alpine may be hot inside, is that the V6 makes a lot of heat and it is coming through the firewall and transmission tunnel hump. Check to see that you don´t have any open holes in the firewall and then check to see if you have some insulation on the firewalland the tunnel.

Jose

Rodewaryer

Donation Time

Do you guys have any good ideas for a personal license plate?

...............QUOTE]

Here's a few:

61WIDE
WYDBEAM
S2GIRTH
SN-BEAM
61TURBO
L4WMORE
61PLUS
61WMORE
TWO 61S
61WMODS
NOT STD
61NHALF
STYLISH
61BOOST
MY DSGN
TWEAKED
MYSIXT1

Good work on the top! Great update.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
more names

How 'bout:

ARNOLD
WYD-PINE
PMPD UP
MR HYDE
WYD RYD

or paint it green and call it

THE HULK

afssanders

Donation Time
New images

I forgot. I have new images up. Tonight was gravy work. I fabbed up a transition from giant washer to my old quarter panel, then hammer welded that onto my car. I'm not sure if I like the cap I picked out yet. I guess if I change my mind there is one other they sell that might look good on it. The funnel flange has 16 tpi, so it's a simple screw on item.