• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Progress

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor

Well, Been a while since I worried about posting, but my bride just isn't excited as I am. After months (okay nearly 3 years) of seemingly negative progress, I'm about finished with replacing nearly all horizontal surfaces from rust to new metal. That's all four floor sections, inner sills, trunk floor and luggage shelf/battery box area replaced with shiny new steel. The V6 mod parts are welded in, trans hump moved and just two days ago, I sent the shell off to the blaster. I should get it back next week in etching primer. I know of other areas the blaster will uncover that I'll have to replace metal, but surely not the extent that I already have. Ladies, and Gents....I am the poster child for insuring a sound rust free body is purchased. No small amount of cash, and WAY more than 100 hours of labor, just to get to a starting point of building a car.

Although, nearly three years have passed, I have to subtract two deployments to Southwest Asia in that time frame that have taken up nearly a year of that time. If you add preparation time, about half the time was spent away from home, so I still am pleased with progress made.

All that said, when my wife drove into the garage yesterday, her response was something like how nice it was to have all that open space with the body shell and rotiserie gone. buzzkill. so I come here for mutual support of those who have lived through this pain.....I'm having a blast learning some better weldling skills, solving fabrication challenges and I get to buy new tools all the time. what's not to like?

I just located some '74 heads for the 2.8. Just have to retrieve them. They are a couple hundred miles away. That's just one more excuse to fly somewhere as soon as the icing conditions subside in this part of the country.

Plan when the body gets back is to replace the problems areas the blaster uncovers and then weld all the unneeded holes in the firewall closed to clean it up. Then the hard work starts.

I just share this, because LIFE IS GOOD.

Thanks for all the great info this forum provides. I likely would have moved to a more pedestrian project long ago, had this resource not been available. Hope the pics made it through.

Safe and happy holidays to all. Pete

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor

Hope the pics made it through.

Safe and happy holidays to all. Pete

What pics? When I clicked "Quote" to respond, some stuff about pictures appeared at the top of your message, but I am unable to access them.

It is asking a bit much to think your bride should be enthusiastic about your project. Be happy she is not against it. Some guys have to ditch their projects. My bride is not enthusiastic about my projects, but is very tolerant and somewhat supportive and never (well hardly ever) complains about the time or money spent. We went for several years with her car parked in the driveway while an Alpine occupied "her spot". Now the car is on the road, she likes it almost as much as I do. That helps a lot. I think you and I are both blessed with good mates.

Bill

66Tiger

Donation Time
Pete,
Sound like your project is coming along...keep moving forward and you will be rewarded at the end.

My wife likes running vehicles better also...as long as she don't see the bills.

In her mind...
Projects = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Running Classics = $$$$$$$$$$$$$

In my mind...
Projects = FUN
Running Classics = FUN, FUN, AND MORE FUN!
Who cares about the $$$

When I have my car out of the garage for any period of time, I fill the space with boxes, bikes, lawnmower, snowblower and other junk I can find to keep her from getting too excited about that big old empty space.

Paul

lgurley

Donation Time
My wife had the good judgment to leave me 20 years ago when I only had one Sunbeam, but I have my company treasurer keep track of my invoices and expenses. Occasionally she looks at me like I am crazy and asks If I know how much In have spent. I tell her to never bother me with ridiculous and depressing information. I would deny that I had spent that much anyway. Maybe I should have just bought a McLaren F1. No that wouldn't have taken as long or been as satisfying.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Accounting

Having no adult supervision to interfere with my Alpine projects, I maintain a file with all my expenditures.

I just never total them up.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I never knew what I had invested in my Alpines, because if I didn't know, neither would my wife. I couldn't lie to her, so didn't want to know. All I knew, was what I wanted to do and that it would cost money, but other than that, I didn't want to know. Cars and kids eat money faster than you can make it, sometimes. After all, to us guys, our cars are our kids, so is the same thing.

Jose

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
In my case its all my wifes fault.Back in 1962 she would not drive my big Mercury. A neighbors daughter came home in a brand new 62.My wife said get her one and she would learn to drive .3 months later we had a 1960 and she had her drivers lisence.She has asked how much did that part cost.I tell her in some cases you really don't want to know.46 years later its still her fault but now she never asks how much did that cost.
End of story

weaselkeeper

Silver Level Sponsor
Okay. I guess I should stop and be thankful. My bride has never questioned the time I put into it, or asked about the money, so I've never had that battle. I do however, make her empty her purse and ashtray to donate any spare change to the car part jar. It's become a game. I keep a book with all time and money logged, but she doesn't look. She has more of an issue with the grinder noise and such. (attached shop). She does however, question my other hobbies, flying, hunting, the occasional Boise State football game, hiking, fishing. Oh, and then there is the job. Says I need to trim a few things and concentrate on one or two. Bah! Humbug! I say. do everything you have the time, money and health for and end this life exactly at ZERO on all accounts!

And the media blaster dude called and needs more time.....to me that means more money, huh?