• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Problem with Weber 28/36 DCD

Bloxham Alpine

Donation Time
Has anyone any tips on adjusting the Weber on my 1592 please?
Problem is that although the old girl starts and runs, at the first junction or just stopping in traffic she dies. I'm assuming it's the carb, and so would like to attempt to adjust the mixture.
HELP please.

THANK YOU

RootesRooter

Donation Time
Actually, its likely running too way too lean. I had the same problem. You'll find suggestions for replacement jet sizes here on the forum. Kits are currently on eBay but you want to have a combination of jets in mind first. There was only one kit containing all of the jets I needed. (Unfortunately I've buried my receipt somewhere, but I think it was the one for the 32/36 Manual Choke) Most of the Redline kits are offered by Carbs Unlimited in Auburn, WA. if you want to buy direct. Roughly $60.

Bloxham Alpine

Donation Time
Actually, its likely running too way too lean. I had the same problem. You'll find suggestions for replacement jet sizes here on the forum. Kits are currently on eBay but you want to have a combination of jets in mind first. There was only one kit containing all of the jets I needed. (Unfortunately I've buried my receipt somewhere, but I think it was the one for the 32/36 Manual Choke) Most of the Redline kits are offered by Carbs Unlimited in Auburn, WA. if you want to buy direct. Roughly $60.
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The plot thickens...........
When I was putting her back in the garage I noticed a slight squeal from the transmission, rolled her back out stuck her in 1st and there it is again? Couldn't drive for 10 years on medical and she was laid up, so now thinking it might be clutch connected?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly. The plot thickens...........
When I was putting her back in the garage I noticed a slight squeal from the transmission, rolled her back out stuck her in 1st and there it is again? Couldn't drive for 10 years on medical and she was laid up, so now thinking it might be clutch connected?

A squeal with the clutch pedal depressed sounds like (no pun intended) the throwout bearing.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
B_A,

If your car was stored for an extended period, you might have stale fuel. You might try driving enough to add fresh fuel to see if the running improves. Be very careful though, old fuel tends to leave heavy varnish deposits. I once had a truck that sat for an extended period. Shortly after being returned to service there was enough varnish deposited on the intake valves that two of them stuck, bending pushrods and some other damage. The damage occurred at start up after the engine had cooled off. The engine had been running fine up to that point.

The 28/36 DCD is a good carb very similar to the current "DGV" series carbs. It has been out of production a long time, though. Hopefully, there is better support for your carb in Europe than the US.
If you feel the need to attempt tuning your carb, here is a link to some information supplied by a US Weber vendor.

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/Tech/Table_of_contents.htm

Good luck and hope this helps,
Don

RootesRooter

Donation Time
If its dying coming up to stoplights while in neutral, its still likely the Weber, for reasons mentioned. The squealing could be another issue.

When idling, does engine speed noticeably decrease when you push in the clutch? If so, you could be looking at worn thrust washers.