• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pretty Straight

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hmm, so far I have not been able to get ahold of the seller and it's still showing for sale on CraigsList. Has anybody besides Warren been able to?

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well, just got a phone call so I'm heading out for a look see. I've got a magnet borrowed from Kelly and some idea's of what to look for. I'll try not to look 'too' desperate :D

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Well, what that car lacks in 'straightness' is made up for in surplus headlight rings, hardtop rear window trim (which I hope Warren got with the hardtop), black California plates, clock (maybe... hard to tell) and that wicked sheepskin seatcover.

Grab the VIN for the registry, please... even if you don't end up grabbing the car.

Good luck!

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks Ken. Warren did the smart thing and got the rear window trim along with the hardtop, but that sheepskin is all mine!!:D

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Fellow SAOCA member needs Gear level....

Ken & mike,

While viewing the Alpine for sale that you were discussing, I noticed what appeared to be the Gear Shift Lever laying in the front seat...

A Fellow member Alan Miles "lord-rootes) needs one.

Please contact him if my observations are correct.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Long day fellas, I'm just now able to sit down and have a cold one....oh ya....heck ya I brought it home!!!:D

The fella selling it was as nice as can be. Between talking classic cars (we both have owned Bugeye Sprites) to Aviation, my other passion and his, we had a great time talking and sharing stories for probably a couple hours.

The seller had literally saved the Alpine from the crusher about 8yrs ago. It has been sitting outside with it's hardtop on in the dry desert like air of East San Diego for several years. The 1725cc engine is in pieces, the tranny nowhere to be found.

I had got a little info from Warren about it before heading on over. It was located way out in the country sticks. The seller told me several people just didn't want to try to find the place way out there and never showed up. I looked it over as best I could, using a magnet (Kelly's, thanks!), flashlight and pulling up carpet. It was just as Warren and the seller said, very little rust and pretty straight without any obvious bondo. The front bumper is dented into the front bodywork a little but it otherwise looks pretty complete.

Included with the car are all the engine parts drivelines (two?), an extra headlight ring and an extra engine compartment hood.

Here are the numbers off the two plates I've noticed so far.

B 395009391 LRX

SAL 608452

The license plates are old 1963 black with yellow letters/numbers and the Chrysler emblem is located on the front right quarter panel below the 1725cc emblem.

Ill try to post some pics as soon as I figure how to do it. Thanks for all the help guys!!

gordonra

Donation Time
Thanks Rich, I'm very excited! It was cool towing it home on the U-haul car hauler. Three twice I heard, 'hey, is that for sale!' and 'Oh man, I used to have one of those!' Fun!!

Just wait! They'll be saying "ya know they put a V8 in those" and "Is that the one with the V8?"

It's a rare day when I don't get comments or looks when I take mine out.

I'm truely happy for you because the fun is just beginning!

Rich

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
The fun begins!

Note: The plates won't be from that car - '63 is way before it was built.

Good luck with the project.

Mike

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
The fun begins!

Note: The plates won't be from that car - '63 is way before it was built.

Good luck with the project.

Mike

That's a good point Mike. I can't read the old tags but the plate itself has 63 stamped into it along with the letters and numbers. I think someone told me those plates themselves were used for several years and that's why they have the 63 stamped into them but the tags may be from the actual year of the car and later. Does that sound right? I could be wrong on that but I'll look into it.

Also, sorry for no pics yet guys, I'm at work and will be till tomorrow morning.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Looking forward to posting a few pics tomorrow for you guys. Together with the ones I took before I loaded it onto the trailer there could be quite a few.

Would it be better to have a link to Photobucket or something like that?

gbinckes

Silver Level Sponsor
Congrats Mike, look forward to seeing the car! It was one of my favorite days bringing home my little car . . .

Garet

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Thanks Nick I'll look into both of those. Might as well plan on starting some kind of photo history anyway.

Congrats Mike, look forward to seeing the car! It was one of my favorite days bringing home my little car . . .

Garet

Thanks Garet. Ya, I hadn't even planned on looking at anything for sale that day much less actually buying something. I took a look at it at 9am and had it in my garage at 5pm, I felt like I was Wayne Carini :D

gordonra

Donation Time
A couple more easy sites for sharing file are Google drive and Microsoft Skydrive.

If you have a gmail or hotmail account, you're already good to go.