• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Please save my 1967 Sunbeam Alpine Series 5!!!

MJulaz

Donation Time
Once upon a time she was an absolutely beautiful car! I bought her brand new in 1967 on special order from a dealer. I loved her and used her for some years, but eventually she was parked and not driven anymore.

In 1990, the engine was blueprinted and the cylinders were bored out 0.040". I added 4 wider "Tiger" Aluminum Alloy Rims and replaced all the joints in the throttle linkage with Heim Joints. Also installed a new convertible top and four wider Michelin MXL tires on the "Tiger" rims.

That is the positive elements of this old girls life. After the improvements I made in 1990--- she was parked and has not been driven since. Time and the elements have done their damage to her. Today, it saddens me to see her in such terrible condition and it breaks my heart to even think of that unmentionable place... the junk yard.

I have to believe that she is still of some use and value to the right person. Someone interested in parting her out in any capacity would be what she needs.

Here's my story-- I am currently located just outside of Chillicothe, Illinois-- but am in the process of downsizing and moving to South Carolina. I need to find a home for this car before the move happens at the end of July. The car is obviously not able to driven and at the moment, unable to be towed. However, if you are that person that this car needs, please contact me and we can work out a way to get her to you.

Please contact me via e-mail or phone with any questions or inquires.

Mahmood
(864)237-1606
mjulaz@live.com

Attachments

• P7050885.jpg
    P7050885.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 211

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Mahmood

I think you are looking at parting out as the most reasonable option.

Are the rims 14"?

Interested in selling if they are?

Thanks

Eric

62 serII

jmthehermit

Donation Time
The wheels look like LAT-9 "PIE MAGS" with the centers cut off. They're 13 inch. They make the deal sweeter if they are LAT-9's.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The wheels look like LAT-9 "PIE MAGS" with the centers cut off. They're 13 inch. They make the deal sweeter if they are LAT-9's.

i think they might be the Dunlop alloy rims, they look simlar to the LAT 9 pie cutters. They will be 13x5.5 or 6, the pie cutters have straight ribs, the dunlops as these have a kink near the centre.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
I called the owner as he is moving to SC. They are Dunlop wheels. And yes the car is very rusty.....Eric

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
It's your fault for leaving it outside!!

:mad:

Once upon a time she was an absolutely beautiful car! I bought her brand new in 1967 on special order from a dealer. I loved her and used her for some years, but eventually she was parked and not driven anymore.

In 1990, the engine was blueprinted and the cylinders were bored out 0.040". I added 4 wider "Tiger" Aluminum Alloy Rims and replaced all the joints in the throttle linkage with Heim Joints. Also installed a new convertible top and four wider Michelin MXL tires on the "Tiger" rims.

That is the positive elements of this old girls life. After the improvements I made in 1990--- she was parked and has not been driven since. Time and the elements have done their damage to her. Today, it saddens me to see her in such terrible condition and it breaks my heart to even think of that unmentionable place... the junk yard.

I have to believe that she is still of some use and value to the right person. Someone interested in parting her out in any capacity would be what she needs.

Here's my story-- I am currently located just outside of Chillicothe, Illinois-- but am in the process of downsizing and moving to South Carolina. I need to find a home for this car before the move happens at the end of July. The car is obviously not able to driven and at the moment, unable to be towed. However, if you are that person that this car needs, please contact me and we can work out a way to get her to you.

Please contact me via e-mail or phone with any questions or inquires.

Mahmood
(864)237-1606
mjulaz@live.com

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
If I were the owner, I'd be embarrassed to admit I'd let a perfectly good car go so far down the hole via neglect. Not that I've been the best owner of every car I ever owned, but I certainly never let one - not even a daily driver - get into such a state. It's really sad to see.

Sownman

Donation Time
They are not LAT 9's. Very few Tigers have them and I can't imagine any Alpine has. Yes sorry to see a car let go that long. "Free to good home" ten years ago would have been better.

Steve

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Guys, do we really want to be criticizing Mahmood for neglecting his car when all he has done as come here looking for someone to save what's left from the junkyard? It would be different if he had an unrealistic view of what the car is worth and was looking for silly money for the parts, but all I can see is someone who regrets leaving it out in the elements and wants to keep it out of the junkyard.

It seems to me that he's come to the right place, but I am not sure I'd feel that way if I were him.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Guys, do we really want to be criticizing Mahmood for neglecting his car when all he has done as come here looking for someone to save what's left from the junkyard? It would be different if he had an unrealistic view of what the car is worth and was looking for silly money for the parts, but all I can see is someone who regrets leaving it out in the elements and wants to keep it out of the junkyard.

It seems to me that he's come to the right place, but I am not sure I'd feel that way if I were him.

Way to go, Jim. X2:(

jack Bacon

Donation Time
How are the seat frames? Take a knife and cut open the cover at the upper rail of the seat back and see if it is one piece and how much rust is present.

Jack

jmthehermit

Donation Time
Jim totally correct, we shouldn't critical about the car. Mahmood is doing the "right" thing also by offering it to Alpine owners. There are usable parts on that car. I've bought worse cars with less usable pieces. Too bad its 14 hours and 850 miles away from me, one way!!!! I've got 3 Jersey cars closer to me that I've been negotiating parts off of to increase my stock pile. The price of scrap metal is down so make a decent offer for some usable cores. The worse you're going to hear is no. Jeff

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
The car is only about three hours from me and I seriously considered it when first posted but 1) my garage is already full of Sunbeam parts and cars undergoing restoration, 2) my driveway is full of cars that ought to be in the garage and 3) I think picking up another parts car at this particular moment would test my wife's incredible patience with my Sunbeam addiction.

RootesRich

Donation Time
Anyone know if Tom Weincek (TW Automotive) is still in the business of stripping dead Alpines? If so, he may be interested in this car.

Jim, if you change your mind (aka convince your wife) about taking the car, I could easily be talked into taking the engine off your hands. Yep, I'm up to something... :rolleyes:

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Who ever winds up with the car, I'd really like to buy the wheels. They'd look really nice on my Series 3 GT!
Please keep me in mind!
Cheers!
Steve

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Who ever winds up with the car, I'd really like to buy the wheels. They'd look really nice on my Series 3 GT!
Please keep me in mind!
Cheers!
Steve

The wheels are nice, but it looks to me like they stick way out in front. I would think that, aesthetics aside, this might create handling problems.

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Jim,
Tell your wife you are restoring a car for her and this one has valuable parts needed for the restoration:D

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
"The wheels are nice, but it looks to me like they stick way out in front. I would think that, aesthetics aside, this might create handling problems. "

Jim, you may be correct, but it also may be that the tires are both really flat and possibly too large for the wheels. If I'm lucky enough to get them, I'll be sure to get the size first. I'll bet they're 13 x 6.
We'll see.
Cheers!
Steve

Sownman

Donation Time
The original post was "Please save MY Alpine". The past few posts here have been down on others being critical of the cars condition but you are also all planning to part out the car not SAVE it. Yes the guy came to the right place but it appears he came several years to late to SAVE that car.

Steve