• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pinto Transmissions

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Am wondering if the Pinto 4 cyl and 6 cyl transmissions were the same. The limited info I have indicates they were. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use the 2.0 bell housing to mate to a Mustang (prolly V6) T5.

Bill

RootesRacer

Donation Time
They were not.

The Pinto trans was always the single rail box with integral shifter.

V6 Capris used the external linkage shifter, V6 mustangs used the larger BW 4 speed with with integral shifter. To my knowledge no V6 pintos came with manual transmissions.

The integral and external linkage transmissions were actually closely related even though they shift and look very different from the outside.

EDIT:

Also 4 cyl mustangs used the same transmission as the pinto, and the bellhousings are very different from that of the mutt V6.

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
They were not.

The Pinto trans was always the single rail box with integral shifter.

V6 Capris used the external linkage shifter, V6 mustangs used the larger BW 4 speed with with integral shifter. To my knowledge no V6 pintos came with manual transmissions.

The integral and external linkage transmissions were actually closely related even though they shift and look very different from the outside.

EDIT:

Also 4 cyl mustangs used the same transmission as the pinto, and the bellhousings are very different from that of the mutt V6.

To sort of continue Bill's question.

> Do you have any idea which pieces and parts need to be combined to mount a Type 9 transmission behind a 2.0 SOHC Ford engine? Or is that another non-workable combination?

Just curious,

RootesRacer

Donation Time
To sort of continue Bill's question.

> Do you have any idea which pieces and parts need to be combined to mount a Type 9 transmission behind a 2.0 SOHC Ford engine? Or is that another non-workable combination?

Just curious,

The type 9 is a direct lineage to the internal shifter 4 speed, so if you take the proper pinto bellhousing, a 2.0 or 2.3 type 9 should bolt right up.

There was one problem I saw on my brothers type 9 that he was going to put in his capri. The problem was that the type 9 has a rod that protrudes the gearbox and slides into the bellhousing when shifting into 2nd and 4th. The 2.3 XR4Ti bellhousing had a nice hole in that section where the bell mounts to the gearbox. We just needed to drill the equiv hole in the 2.8 capri bell so you could shift gears.

I would say (though not definitively) that if you have an XR4Ti Type 9 trans and a pinto 2.0 bellhousing, you can put the pieces together and make it fly.

Its putting the XR4Ti trans in a 2.8 thats somewhat tougher.