• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

"Pinto" EFI

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Has anyone tried, or know of anyone that has tried, to put an EFI manifold as used on the Ford SOHC engine in the Sierra? If so, is there clearance?

Bill

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Bill,

I don't know if it will fit, but if it doesn't, I would suggest having a custom aluminum sheetmetal manifold fabricated. You could design it to maximize the intake charge. I think your thinking of going with FI is a good one. I have used a blow through carburetor system, and fuel injection would have been infinitely better. Turbos love FI.

Jose:)

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Bill,

I don't know if it will fit, but if it doesn't, I would suggest having a custom aluminum sheetmetal manifold fabricated. You could design it to maximize the intake charge. I think your thinking of going with FI is a good one. I have used a blow through carburetor system, and fuel injection would have been infinitely better. Turbos love FI.

Jose:)

I hear you Jose, but I'd rather have Ford design it if possible. A lot easier and cheaper. Besides, I know nothing about optimizing intake manifolds. Also, if it is like most OEM intakes, it does its thing in the lower rpm regions, (say <3000) right where the turbo is just starting to work. Perfect fit.

Bill

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I hear you Jose, but I'd rather have Ford design it if possible. A lot easier and cheaper. Besides, I know nothing about optimizing intake manifolds. Also, if it is like most OEM intakes, it does its thing in the lower rpm regions, (say <3000) right where the turbo is just starting to work. Perfect fit.

Bill

Were it me, I'd get one of those twin DCOE weber intakes, and a couple of DCOE EFI throttle bodies.

You would end up with a pretty short setup, top HP potential, and reasonable low end torque. Also a sound to die for.

The intakes seem to go for in the $75 range on ebay, and if the throttle bodies are too steep, you can buy motorcycle throttle bodies and make an adapter plate.

suvacrew

Donation Time
Bill,
As rootesracer posted..the side drafts DCOE set-up is the best. As you and I have exchanged, the SOHC is a stout unit and can be tuned pretty quick with little pain in the pocket book.
Some places to garner some insights to getting the most out of your 2.0 w/o FE...Burton, Esslinger and Walsh. I have found the best source for parts is eBay UK as there is a plethora of items related to the RS2000 engines and some have the bolt on FE set-ups available on occasion.
Port and polish the head, get a good lift cam with limited duration and choose a grind for what end you want the torque/power.
Cheers

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Were it me, I'd get one of those twin DCOE weber intakes, and a couple of DCOE EFI throttle bodies.

You would end up with a pretty short setup, top HP potential, and reasonable low end torque. Also a sound to die for.

The intakes seem to go for in the $75 range on ebay, and if the throttle bodies are too steep, you can buy motorcycle throttle bodies and make an adapter plate.
All that would be cool, except that he has a turbo on it, and would end up having to make a custom carburetor cover plenum, to be able to pressureize them all. I don't think there is enough room between the engine and fender well to make it fit.

Jose :)

RootesRacer

Donation Time
All that would be cool, except that he has a turbo on it, and would end up having to make a custom carburetor cover plenum, to be able to pressureize them all. I don't think there is enough room between the engine and fender well to make it fit.

Jose :)
Nothing that hasnt been done before, this is EXACTLY what Brian Holm did with his turbo 1725 (motorcycle ITBs and turbo+bonnet).

The bottom line is that you can buy an off the shelf DCOE intake, which is a far more difficult issue to resolve otherwise than to make an airbox to feed the ITBs.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Don, this is my current setup.
Bored .040" over, stock pistons
Rods lightened
Lightweight piston pins
Oversized valves
Ported, exhaust ports enlarged
Modified combustion chambers
Pistons, valves and combustion chambers ceramic coated
Engle TCS 55 cam, .432" lift, 223 degrees duration @ .050"
Small Rajay (BB) turbo, blowing through a Fish carburetor. Currently regulated to 7-8 psi.

I am not happy with the carburetion. Sometimes I get it close, but not right. Have a wide band O2 meter on the way. If I cannot tune the carb to my satisfaction with that, I will go to EFI. The purpose of EFI will be driveability, with perhaps better low end power, not max hp. Right now, I do not know how I will attack the problem. At this point, the car is about 99% my creation and whatever I do, I would like for it to be done by myself. Maybe this means a TBI (sorry Jarrid). The Sierra intake was on Ebay for pretty cheap, thought I'd get it if it went for a hundred or so, just in case I needed it. Also because I've been wondering if they would fit on a Pinto in an Alpine. Anyway, it went for $130. Someone else will have to find out.

Bill

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,

I read something the other day that may have bearing on your problem child. I don't recall what you have posted in the past about the functioning of the Fish carb or how you may have plumbed your systems.

Are you doing anything to reference fuel pressure against boost? If your fuel pressure does not increase with boost in a blow-through system, then it's possible that as boost pressure increases in the carb float bowl, that fuel flow into the carb decreases because of the decreasing pressure differential between fuel pump pressure and boost ( progressively leaner condition )? If the boost pressure in the float bowl matches or exceeds the fuel pump output pressure it should prevent any fuel from being delivered to the carb ( fuel starvation ).

Think this might be related to your problem? :confused:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,

Think this might be related to your problem? :confused:

No, I have modified a Holly fuel pressure regulator so it can reference turbo output pressure. I think it is working correctly. A couple of times I have forgotten to hook up the connecting line and sure enough, it falls flat on its face as boost starts to build.

Don't know exactly what the problem is, just does not seem to have oomph from 4K upward. Also is not predictable. Will think I have the carb set, next time I fire it up it will not even idle. Maybe there is dirt somewhere in the carb. At this time, I would not even bet it is carburetor, hope the wideband solves that mystery.

Bill