• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pilot Bearing for 2.8 with T5

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi Mark, I defer to Jose.But I am confused; do you mean the hole in the crank,rather than the hole in the bell housing?
I
Hi Doug! I meant the hole in the bellhousing. As per Jim E's post there are issues at both ends of the tranny input shaft.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Mark, I defer to Jose.But I am confused; do you mean the hole in the crank,rather than the hole in the bell housing?
I
The hole in the crank doesn't get touched. What I was talking about, is the hole in the bellhousing. This hole is located exactly, in relation to the indexing pins on the back of the block, so shouldn't be fooled with. it is much easier, thus cheaper to turn down the O.D. of the collar on a lathe. Jim Stone reminded us that the trube on the 3.8 V6 T5, is about .75 longer than it should be, so be sure to cut it to the correct length on the lathe at the same time you turn down the o.d.

Jose :)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim Stone reminded us that the trube on the 3.8 V6 T5, is about .75 longer than it should be, so be sure to cut it to the correct length on the lathe at the same time you turn down the o.d.

Jose :)

I am not where I can measure it, but IIRC it is only about .50" too long.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
There is a thread on turboford, discussing bronze pilot bearings (bushings). A very odd sounding item emerged - Don't use lithium grease with the bronze. Nobody seems to know why, but is the instruction packed with commercially available bushings.

Thought I'd pass it along.
Bill