• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pilot Bearing for 2.8 with T5

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi! I'm mating a T5 tranny from a '98 Mustang 3.8 V6 to my '78 Mustang II 2.8 V6. Do I buy a pilot bearing for the 2.8 or for the 3.8 (or are they the same bearing)?:confused: Thanks!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi! I'm mating a T5 tranny from a '98 Mustang 3.8 V6 to my '78 Mustang II 2.8 V6. Do I buy a pilot bearing for the 2.8 or for the 3.8 (or are they the same bearing)?:confused: Thanks!
Hi Mark,

Buy the one for the Mustang II. It is being used with the Mustang II bellhousing and the Mustang II clutch and pressure plate, so keep it a complete set.

Jose :)

britbeam

Donation Time
Hi Mark,

Buy the one for the Mustang II. It is being used with the Mustang II bellhousing and the Mustang II clutch and pressure plate, so keep it a complete set.

Jose Ive got a question regarding this post. I see Mark asking about the pilot bearing for the 3.8 tranny but your answer seems to be regarding the throwout bearing. Maybe Im reading something into this I shouldnt but when you say keep it a complete set it kinda messes with my head.I usally think of clutch disc,pressure plate & throwout bearing.
What span is there on years that can be used on the 3.8 tranny? I tried to search on the site but note finding the info.
Dwain V6 Krazy

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Jose Ive got a question regarding this post. I see Mark asking about the pilot bearing for the 3.8 tranny but your answer seems to be regarding the throwout bearing. Maybe Im reading something into this I shouldnt but when you say keep it a complete set it kinda messes with my head.I usally think of clutch disc,pressure plate & throwout bearing.
What span is there on years that can be used on the 3.8 tranny? I tried to search on the site but note finding the info.
Dwain V6 Krazy
Hi Dwain,

I said it wrong. I should have said to use the Mutt II pilot bearing, because it will be going into the end of the 2.8 V6 crank, and I don't know if the 3.8 V6 has the same O.D. as the Mutt II. The only way to know for sure, is to see what the part number for each is, and if there is nodifference, in numbers, it means that they are the same. Sorry to have confused you. Sometimes I get to rambling and don't pay attention as I should.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
pilot bearing

Hi Dwain,

I said it wrong. I should have said to use the Mutt II pilot bearing, because it will be going into the end of the 2.8 V6 crank, and I don't know if the 3.8 V6 has the same O.D. as the Mutt II. The only way to know for sure, is to see what the part number for each is, and if there is nodifference, in numbers, it means that they are the same. Sorry to have confused you. Sometimes I get to rambling and don't pay attention as I should.

Hi Jose, I just found out the 3.8 bearing has a much larger outside dimension than the 2.8.The 2.8 measures in at 13/16 and the 3.8 is at least a full inch. The inside dimension is of course the same.
The 3.8 will not fit into the crank.
Doug

Jim E

Donation Time
You need to have the diameter of the input shaft, the part that sticks in the pilot bearing turned or ground down to fit the 2.8 pilot bearing. Or do as Bill B sugests and have a special bearing made to fit.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jose, I just found out the 3.8 bearing has a much larger outside dimension than the 2.8.The 2.8 measures in at 13/16 and the 3.8 is at least a full inch. The inside dimension is of course the same.
The 3.8 will not fit into the crank.
Doug
Thanks for the info, because, never having even seen a 3.8 pilot bearing, I didn't know if they were the same diameter on the O.D. as the 2.8. The I.D. of the 3.8 bearing is also larger, and is why the pilot bearing spud on the 3.8 T5 has to be turned down to fit the smaller I.D. of the Mustang II bearing.

Like Jim said, you will need to have the pilot bearing spud ground down to the same O.D. as the one on the Mustang II four speed, if you decide to use the Mustang II pilot bearing.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
2.8 pilot bearing

Jim, you are right. The inside dimension is smaller in the 2.8 . What is the better alternative? Turn down the shaft or have a bearing made.. I don't know the #'s on the shaft dimension but just looking at the difference of the inside dimensions there does not appear to be much of a tolerance to work w/ on a custom bearing w/o enlarging the crank boss.. do you know the details ?

Mark T

Donation Time
Hi Doug! There has a discussion on this the last couple of days in the 'Got Vader a trans' post. You might want to check it out. I just had a bronze bearing made for mine (17 mm ID, 21 mm OD) as my machinist was afraid that he would go through the hardened part of the spud if he ground it down. I guess only time will tell if I made the right decision.

Now the next issue. The hole in the bellhousing is slightly smaller than the bearing retainer. I'm getting the hole bored out in the morning. Are there any other modifications that I'm going to have to do? When I do some rough measurements it looks like the tranny input shaft is only going to go into the pilot bearing by about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. I can get a little more by planing down the back of the bellhousing. Has this happened to anyone else?

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
2.8 pilot bearing

Thanks for the info, because, never having even seen a 3.8 pilot bearing, I didn't know if they were the same diameter on the O.D. as the 2.8. The I.D. of the 3.8 bearing is also larger, and is why the pilot bearing spud on the 3.8 T5 has to be turned down to fit the smaller I.D. of the Mustang II bearing.

Like Jim said, you will need to have the pilot bearing spud ground down to the same O.D. as the one on the Mustang II four speed, if you decide to use the Mustang II pilot bearing.

Hi Jose, is it necessary to disassemble the trans to turn down the shaft?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
JimE. I PM'ed you. Hey Jose. How's things nearer the Equator?:cool:

Dennis.
It's just great! Weather is warm, not like Seattle, and the people are just great too. Unfortunately, the dollar has fallen to the place, that I may have to return to the states and go back to work.

Jose :(

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Doug! There has a discussion on this the last couple of days in the 'Got Vader a trans' post. You might want to check it out. I just had a bronze bearing made for mine (17 mm ID, 21 mm OD) as my machinist was afraid that he would go through the hardened part of the spud if he ground it down. I guess only time will tell if I made the right decision.

Now the next issue. The hole in the bellhousing is slightly smaller than the bearing retainer. I'm getting the hole bored out in the morning. Are there any other modifications that I'm going to have to do? When I do some rough measurements it looks like the tranny input shaft is only going to go into the pilot bearing by about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch. I can get a little more by planing down the back of the bellhousing. Has this happened to anyone else?
Hi Mark,

I wouldn't bore out the hole in the bellhousing, because it would be too easy to move it to one side or the other, which would cause a misalignment and hurt the transmission. It is way easier to remove the front collar from the transmission and have it turned down in a lathe, giving you .02/.03 clearance.

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks Jose! Any idea why I have so little of the spud going into the crank, and what to do about it? Thanks again!

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
It is way easier to remove the front collar from the transmission and have it turned down in a lathe, giving you .02/.03 clearance.

The sleeve on the bearing retainer for the 3.8 T-5 is about a half inch too long. That may be why it won't go into the crank. You need to cut it down while you have it off to turn down the collar. I don't recall the exact final length, but it has been discussed and posted here before.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
2.8 bearing

Hi Mark, I defer to Jose.But I am confused; do you mean the hole in the crank,rather than the hole in the bell housing?
I

Jim E

Donation Time
TEh 3.8 T5 has three things that must be taken care of for it to bolt up to the MII bellhousing.

1. Input shaft, either turn it down to the size to fit teh MII stock Pilot bearing or make a pilot bearing that will fit it.

2. Bearing retainer, or the gizno the throw out bearing rides on is too long and just be shortend or buy a bearing retainer for a 5.0 T5 which is the correct length. another reaason to do this is the stock bearing retainers are all alloy and tend to gaul where the throw out rides on them the replacements are steel.

3. Bearing rretainer again.... the diameter of the base of teh retainer where it fits the bellhousing is too large and needs to be turned down to fit. The other option is to enlarge the hole in the bell but it needs to be done very accuratly, perhaps this could be done with a engine boring machine that centers on the hole.

The 3.8 is the way to go these transmissions are plentiful, cheaper than the 5.0 version and not near as prone to been torn up as the 5.0 T5s. Another note on the 3.8 T5 you can convert them to a 5.0 configuration by swapping a 5.0 input shaft and bearing retainer and I imagine you could convert them to the 4 cylinder version by doing the same putting a 4 banger input shaft in one. This would mean if you are running either teh 5.0 or teh 4 banger pilot bearing addaptor it would be a bolt in. One thing to check on this is if the input shafts have the same tooth count. But I like them for the cheap, not busted and no bearing adaptor to buy reasons.

Mark T

Donation Time
Thanks Jim! Do you know what the correct length to make the 3.8 beariing retainer is? I'm going to have to shorten the one I have as I tried to get one for the 5.0 but nobody stocks them and I don't have time to wait for one.