• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pick up a Metal lathe

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I found a 1964 Logan 11" x 36" lathe that was bought as a kit and never completed and has just been seating for the last 56 years. I have been taking it a part to clean and check everything, so far it has only needed a new belt and head bearing. Getting close to completing the lathe, then I need to build a stand.
Before
Image-16.jpg
RIMG1310-X2.jpg
After
RIMG1323-X2.jpg
Image-22-X2.jpg

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Very nice! I use my lathe all the time. I recently made rear wheel cylinder pistons for my Alpine out of bearing bronze (to prevent rusting like the original steel ones).

If you know someone with a 3D printer, check out Thingiverse.com - there are a lot of useful lathe parts available there. For example, I recently printed a bracket from there that allows me to mount my Dremel on the tool post to use as a rather nice tool post grinder and cuttoff tool.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Sweet! .... Logan is a good quality piece even if lesser known then the South Bends, no shop should be without one. A model 1922? .. I believe Powermatic is still supplying parts for those.

..... David

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
One tip, if you've never set up a lathe before. It's critical that you get it very level. An ordinary carpenter's level will get you started, but to do it right see if you can contact a nearby machinist and borrow a proper machinist's level - they are WAY more accurate. Getting your lathe bed absolutely level on both ends will help ensure your cuts don't taper.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Close, it's a model 1917. Looking forward to using it. A friend of mine owns a machine shop, he's the one that had it and is helping me. He builds all my fun parts, like my center caps.
RIMG0001-X2.jpg
RIMG0006-X2.jpg
RIMG0005-X2.jpg

PROCRAFT

Donation Time

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
All done, just need to build a stand.
RIMG1338-XL.jpg

RIMG1340-XL.jpg

RIMG1332-XL.jpg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Had time to build a stand, and started turning a gas cap for my series 2 that will look like the wheel center caps that my friend made me.
RIMG1449-XL.jpg

RIMG1459-XL.jpg

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
I notice you have an empty tailstock, a machinist friend suggested to always keep it plugged so no chips get inside.

So I keep a drill chuck in there, seeing I use it the most.

Look'n GOOD!

DW

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
How did you convert the circle to into a hexagon? I suspect a bit more equipment than your showing. Looks good.

Bill

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes, I used my friends mill. The funny thing is, I also had to convert a hexagon to a circle.
Image-69-XL.jpg

Image-66-XL.jpg