• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Pentastar

George Farrell

Donation Time
Does anyone know when the Chrysler Pentastar appeared on the front fenders? The car in question was produced the week of September 19, 1966.

Thanks

George

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Our car has one, according to the build date chart 4/19/1966.

I noticed our build date chart formatting seemed messed up. Originally I thought our car was 10/1966 (it is #5225) but I copied the data into Excel then it showed up ok.
EDIT: I guess it depends on my browser zoom setting, if I size the page differently the chart reads fine...

What # is your SV?

65beam

Donation Time
the pentastar was on all series 5. right front fender only. i have never seen a series 4 with it.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Pentastar ??

1st Feb 1966 This may help

Sure would like a better copy of your "Document" on the Pentastar.

My 1976 Series V B395013260 has the original star and after the restoration work that I've done on the body I need the clip that holds it in place.

Figured I might get lucky and find one at the local Chrysler Dealer.

Part numbers would help greatly!

Thanks,

DanR

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Sure would like a better copy of your "Document" on the Pentastar.

My 1976 Series V B395013260 has the original star and after the restoration work that I've done on the body I need the clip that holds it in place.

Figured I might get lucky and find one at the local Chrysler Dealer.

Part numbers would help greatly!

Thanks,

DanR

Dan
I doubt that you will find one at Chrysler. Some years back all they had was a peel and stick Pentastar.There should be a shop that deals strictly on fastners and maybe you can find one

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
I have retyped what I can read, so see if this can be read.

Thanks

Attachments

• SunbeamPentastar.jpg
    SunbeamPentastar.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 57

philt

Donation Time
I saw one on ebay but it has disappeared. Is there another source, stick on or clip on?
Phil in Tenn

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
Pentastar on Ebay

I saw it on Ebay also and now it does not come up on the search. If you type in Chrysler Pentastar you will get about 80 ads for them since they used them on so many US Chrysler cars. No specific reference to Sunbeam however, so you would need to know size, color etc.

philt

Donation Time
I just received a Chrysler Pentatsar I ordered from Ebay. It was about $15.00 and advertised as OEM for Chrysler products on the 1960's. It was plastic with two small locator pins on the back. I am not sure if this is strictly accurate but until I can afford the $100.00 for a pair of used ones (listed on Ebay also) I will live with my plastic.
Phil in Tenn

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I think you have the correct pentastar as your discription matches mine. I'm pretty sure Alpines only have one on the lower right fender. There should be a couple of holes it presses into.
Ron

ALC 68A

Donation Time
According to my copy of an original Rootes parts list, one Pentastar - part no. 2239866 - (apparently known in Ryton as the "puckered a*se"!) was for USA and Canada only, so presumably introduced from February 1966 as referred to in the copy memo attached earlier in this thread. Late production UK cars also have them, from roughly when the cars got the minor facelift of peakless headlamp rims and number (license) plate lamps on the rear bumper, i.e. late 1967.

1967 was the year when Chrysler took total control of Rootes after taking a 30% stake in 1964, and from then on the connection was overt in advertising etc. Presumably prior to this, Rootes weren't too keen to advertise the loss of independence to Chrysler in markets outside N. America, where the new bosses no doubt kept a close eye on their investment.

Out of interest, did Rootes retain an independent dealer network after the takeover, or were the cars sold from Chrysler dealers?

Steve

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Steve,
I can give you a partial answer. I know that at least some Chrysler dealers sold Rootes cars in the US. Several that I have talked to indicated that it was not neccessarily their decision and they weren't real happy about it!

I presume Chrysler would have cancelled some if not all of the independent Rootes dealers, but I don't know this for a fact.

From Chrysler's perspective, one of Rootes biggest assets was their well developed international dealer network. So in places like South Africa, the opposite happened - the Rootes Dealers started selling Chryler products. IIRC the Dodge Dart & Plymouth Valient became best sellers in S. Africa.

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
I recall that some Sunbeam owners pried the pentastars off and threw them away in protest. Chrysler's takeover of the company was not universally welcomed, as then-chairman Lynn Townsend was already in the process of running the U.S. company into the ground (later to be salvaged by Iococca) and destroying Simca. Rightly or otherwise, a lot of people blamed Chrysler for Rootes going out of business. But there was also the issue of the crazy Brit labor unions and Lord Rootes dying in the middle of the crisis.

I just checked and, much to my surprise, the thing really is on only one fender. I never noticed that.

65beam

Donation Time
series 5 # 622 had the pentastar on it when we bought it in 1978. it's titled a 1966. i know a local guy that was a dodge/plymouth dealer at the time and chrysler tried to force dealers to take on sunbeam but he said he resisted due to the local population. wally swift told me years ago that chrysler wanted the world wide network of dealers. i think he said rootes sold cars in 48 countries.