• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Parts question/ heater core

Acollin

Donation Time
A little advice, please.

My heater core has a leak that is not obvious. Moisture appears, but there is no way I can see where it's coming from.
I see my options as:
1) have a radiator shop do a repair
2) buy a used on from a parts seller
3) buy a new one from a new parts seller— SS has it in the catalog
4) reroute the hoses and go heaterless— my driving in cold weather is a little fun but mostly maintenace

With new parts often questionable—-
Q: With a heater core, is better to repair the old part or buy new?
Thanks all
Andrew

JoeMcC

Gold Level Sponsor
A decent radiator shop should be able to do a good repair or tell you if it is too far gone but a small leak should be an easy fix.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Be very careful on the repair.... Some people have had some serious bill shock .. make sure they don't repair it without your consent and a solid quote...

Personally I'd buy a new one, the new ones are reinforced and the ends don't buldge

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Better off to buy a new one. The repops is heavier not because it sounds like a musical maraca when you shake it.
The tubes are pretty fragile and thin walled. Since people used tap water getting the scale out completely is hard.

Plus there's the time to consider when like Tiger owners, you put on the heater just to add cooling area to the system to avoid overheating. Yes I've been in 115 temp. heater on top down black interior in a cluster F of the San Fernando valley crawling uphill.