• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Parts needed - fuel pump etc

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Please contact me via a PM if you have a good fuel pump that you wish to part with (please include the cost to purchase). I purchased a NOS pump and have found that the inlet side is cracked and spits fuel and I hate fires!

Regards,
Andrew

mikephillips

Donation Time
Unless it's also broken you could swap tops pieces between your original and the NOS pump. There's something like 8 machine screws that hold them together and all the working bits are in the bottom half. So the tops would mean just swapping castings with no mechanical bits.

Andrew

Donation Time
Hi Mike

Thanks, that is a good idea. I will take things off tonight and see what I can put together.

Regards,
Andrew

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
...So the tops would mean just swapping castings with no mechanical bits.

Mike: I don't think that is entirely correct, as the bottoms contain the rocker arm assembly that can also wear. I may be wrong on this, but I am pretty sure old pumps sometimes end up with 'slop' in the arm mechanism.

Andrew: you should probably compare the feel of your new pump's rocker arm to the old one and continue your search for a replacement if the old one is loose.

mikephillips

Donation Time
As I understand this Jim his problem is that the NOS pump has a cracked line connection, which is in the top half of the pump. So what I'm suggesting is swapping the top half off the old pump onto the bottom half of the NOS pump, assuming that as an NOS item it has no wear in the arm, pivot, or valves. The top half has no mecahnical parts to wear out so other than replacing the gasket for the bowl should just swap over unless one or the other of the pumps isn't an original Alpine pump.

Andrew

Donation Time
Hi guys,

It is an NOS pump, never used and it looke great. I think it is crack in the lower casing near the inlet. I am unable to see the exact location as it just spits a little and seams to be under the top flang. I first thought it was just a dry gasket but it looks as if the problem is below the gasket on the right hand side.

I will need to pull the darn thing and inspect it. I worry that it is the lower casing that is the problem. I may be able to pull the guts out of the NOS pump and put them into the old casing.

I will report back.

Regards,
Andrew

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike is absolutely correct. I was writing from memory (never a good idea when one is on the downward slide towards 60 :eek:) and thinking the lower half contained the inlet and outlet.

My bad.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Unless the diaphram has failed there should never be gas in the lower part of the pump. Let us know how it turns out Andrew.

Andrew

Donation Time
fuel pump

I am not sure what to think.
I pulled the pump last night and I am unable to see any real problem with the upper pump body. There looks to be a small crack along the top upper edge but I would think the glass dome under pressure would seal any chance of the fuel from even getting to this location. It may have a blind crack from this location in towards the inlet that I am unable to see.

I will dismantle things and put some spare parts together in hope to make something work. If I was to make up a new top gasket, is it possible to use regular paper gasket material for the fuel pump? Is there any type of gasket sealant that one can use in contact with petrol? I am also starting to wonder if I should have used some kind of sealant on my new carb gaskets, should they be installed dry as I have done?

Regards,
Andrew

mikephillips

Donation Time
You want rubber or possibly rubberized cork for the glass bowl gasket, it needs to be something that can stand up to continous gas contact without coming apart or allowing it to soak through. Unless it's turned hard or cracked try reusing what's there, possibly turning it over to get a new surface for the glass rim.

howard

Donation Time
You can get the gasket material from places like AutoZone... they sell packets of sheets of various gasket materials, including the cork-rubber material. You just cut it to fit.

I have a somewhat beat up pump out in the ol' "shed of doom." The handle to prime it is bent (could be replaced if you had a spare). Probably would be a good part-of-part donor. It might even work as is, but it has no glass bowl anymore, thanks to a butterfingered mechanic. PM me if you want it.

Andrew

Donation Time
Fuel Pump

Well, I took the pump off. After an inspection I really didn't think the pump should be doing what it was. I purchased a few new brass compression rings and thought I would install it again. I didn't tell you guys this before but the brass bolt end or the 90° Banjo Fuel Fitting was all chewy and messed up. I had to use a pair of grips to get the darn thing off.:eek:

Is it possible to get these things with the correct thread?
What thread is it, I am not sure if it is even called a Banjo fitting.

Anyway, I was able to get things back together "some what" and she is still leaking a little. I will take things off again tonight. My wife is starting to get a little upset with the fuel smell, she gave me one of these :mad:

Regards,
Andrew

I sure miss driving the old girl.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
You need to be very careful with banjo thru-bolts.

Its tough to tell the difference between a 3/8 thru-bolt and a 10mm.

The threads are totally different and will ruin what they are screwed into.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Well, I took the pump off. After an inspection I really didn't think the pump should be doing what it was. I purchased a few new brass compression rings and thought I would install it again. I didn't tell you guys this before but the brass bolt end or the 90° Banjo Fuel Fitting was all chewy and messed up. I had to use a pair of grips to get the darn thing off.:eek:

Is it possible to get these things with the correct thread?
What thread is it, I am not sure if it is even called a Banjo fitting.

Anyway, I was able to get things back together "some what" and she is still leaking a little. I will take things off again tonight. My wife is starting to get a little upset with the fuel smell, she gave me one of these :mad:

Regards,
Andrew

I sure miss driving the old girl.

Andrew,
I encountered the same problem and bid on a "core for rebuild" AC pump on ebay, just to get its good banjo fitting.

Allan

Andrew

Donation Time
Man I am tired of these fuel problems. It first all started with that silly S3 fuel shut off valve.

I am almost tempted to cap off the mechanical fuel pump and run a new steel line directly from the carbs to the fuel tanks. I could then hire someone to run beside the car to blow into fuel tank, I guess it would be a full time job for someone if you lived in a hilly neighbourhood. We all know we could use more people employed. I wonder how much you would need to pay someone to do this? :D

On a serious note: thanks for the help guys, I will start hunting for the parts this afternoon.

Andrew