• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Parade duty

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
I have been asked to drive in this Friday's homecoming parade at my son's high school. This, of course, entails two kids sitting on the (folded) convertible top of my SV. (no steel cover) Has anyone done this before? Seems I should make some sort of bridge so that the body crossmember doesn't get oilcanned. There's no shortage of things to try, but I guess I'm asking for things that have worked... if anybody's done it. It's a short and slow parade, so real comfort isn't much of an issue... a 2x12 with some boat cushions will do the trick. But if I make something, I want it to prevent damage, not slide around, and be solid enough that if my clutch picks that time to pack it in, the kids have something to hold on to! (I've already decided 1" nylon webbing wrist straps will be hooked to the seatbelt mounts...)
Comments? Suggestions? Somebody near Columbus already have one?

Thanks!
Ken

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Lamely replying to my own post...

On a SV, where is the 'shoulder harness' attachment point?
I recall reading somewhere that it's on the side of the parcel
shelf, but I don't recall where, and cannot feel it (yet) under the 3/8" padding that's glued on under the vinyl. Is it a 1/2-20 threaded hole?

22 hours and counting!
Ken

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
It is high on the fender well. It can easily be seen from the outside of the car. Look for a reinforced patch and welded on nut on the inner fender well. Mine had a rubber plug in them, inserted from the inside of the car. Can't remember if they are 1/2" or 7/16". I think they are 7/16". They are 20 tpi, though.

Bill

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Here's a picture showing the mount. As Bill said, easy to see the nut from the wheel well. Pretty sure it's a 7/16 fine pitch too.

napa 1

Donation Time
I'm probably going to drive my car in the Christmas Parade this year...let us know what you come up with.

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
First off, thanks to Bill and Todd for the help in locating the shoulder harness mounting points.

I did end up making a parade platform/seat thing. Here's the rundown.

I'm kind of a Unistrut guy for stuff like this, because once your prototype is finished, you're done. I'm sure welding up something from steel or aluminum would work, too. Wood, not so much... unless it was oak.

The design constraints were: no new holes in the car, rock-solid stability, keep load off of bodywork/finish, and make it easily removable. I elected to make a cantilevered support, with two mounting points. The rear mounting point is the shoulder harness one, and the load is down when the parade seat is occupied. The front mounting point is attached to the outer lap belt mounting bolt, and the direction of the load is up at this point. The parade victim sits suspended over the stowed convertible top, without resting on any bodywork.

For mounting points, I used the aforementioned shoulder harness tiedown points, and the outer lap belt tiedown points. I was fortunate to have on hand some 7/16-20 fine thread bolts, with a seatbelt eye. (Not a standard eyebolt...) I replaced the lap belt outer mount with one of these eyebolts on each side, with the eye straight up and down. That allowed me to bolt on a Unistrut fitting to tie in the front support.

The rear mounting point was the harness mount. Had to totally destroy the rubber plugs to gain access, and I had to run the threads, too. Using several Unistrut plates, brackets, and whatnot, I was able to craft a pair of brackets with a 21" front leg, about a 10" rear leg, and a beam across the top of some 28" or so. (I'll grab the actual measurements tomorrow, and edit them in.) The horizontal beam on each side picks up both legs, and also holds the 2x10 SYP seating board.

When installing, go for the back legs first. After they're built up per the picture, they will need to be twisted so that the front of the bracket clears both the door post and the seat. (Attach the horizontal top piece and use it for leverage. Watch the bodywork.) Next, measure up the needed length of the front bracket, cut to length and install. Make sure the horizontal top piece is clear of all bodywork. Also watch that the trunk lid doesn't hit the back of your platform when you raise the lid.

Finally, tighten everything down, install your seating board, and hit the road... slowly. (I ended up providing a couple nylon web loops for the occupants to slip around their non-waving wrist... just in case the clutch cylinder chooses that very moment to crap out.)

Here are some pix. Maybe. The only other thing that was added after pictures is a diagonal brace to reinforce the 'two leg' stance.

I'll update in the next day or two, and try to find someone who took some parade pictures.

Ken

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Well, John, if I did, the kit would be $100. The lawyer-required engine interlock to automatically kill power when 1 MPH is reached would be $1000... I just couldn't imagine all the legal wrangling required to make something like this for someone else. In fact, I should add a "don't try this at home/professional driver on closed course" disclaimer to the posting!

Such is the world we live in.

Ken

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ken, do like everyone else does. Use a disclaimer, stating the intended purpose is to provide seating space for kids under 12 to sit while consuming hot dogs and non-alcoholic beverages at neighborhood cookouts and tailgaters, a sort of portable park bench. Even include a picture of a moppet seating on the seat, waving to someone off camera while holding a mug of root beer in one hand.

Bill