• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

overdrive warning light

67brg

Silver Level Sponsor
I recently installed an overdrive in my series V. Everything functions as it should accept for the warning light. The light stays on in all shift gates. It is plugged in the correct connector according to the wiring diagram. Anyone know what I should look for.:)

Ken Ellis

Donation Time
Hmmm... It's my understanding that later cars, using the latching relay, did not use an overdrive warning light. The 3/4 interlock switch on the shift tunnel was supposed to prevent low gear/reverse operation of the OD.

Precisely when this came into play I do not know -- it's probably mentioned in the historical documents.

What is the source of the wiring diagram you're working from? And is it specifically for SV? Are you using the momentary contact actuation switch and a latching relay to enable the solenoid?

The most reasonable place for "a" warning light would be monitoring the lead at the solenoid... If you bug out the wire yours is plugged into, does it go there?

I know... questions, questions, questions. :)

On edit: are there two lockout switches on the shift tunnel? One is for backup lights, and the other for OD enable/lockout...

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
What wiring diagram are you using? None of the SV wiring diagrams in the WSM show an OD warning light. I have an OD warning light on my car, and it is wired and operating correctly, but I have not seen any diagram so I am puzzled about what you are using and how you wired it.

It is a bit scary to hear your situation. Are you sure your OD turns off when you go to the 1/2 gears? And does the light go off when you turn the OD off with the switch?

Many of Ken's questions are also mine.

Ken, you are correct that the "reasonable" place to wire the warning light would be the solenoid lead, but that is NOT where the factory wired it - on SIV's for example. They wired it to the W2 terminal, so it shows that the relay is energized. In trouble shooting my OD relay I added an extra indicator, just a simple LED and resistor, to the "reasonable" place, the solenoid output terminal C1. Now I get an indication that the relay is powered, AND an indication that th esolenoid has power also.

Tom

Mark B

Donation Time
My SV has the OD warning in the top left corner of the dash. I recall being in the same situation as you and will look at how I resolved this. It works well now and only illuminates in 3,4 when the OD is engaged. My recollection is that it either operates off of the switch on the tranny or the relay on the firewall. I will have a look and see if I have any insights to post.

Thanks,

Mark B

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have a light on my SV as well. I don't remember exactly how I wired it, but also think it was at the switch. I am not near the car at the moment, but can check over the weekend if no one can answer the question by then.