• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive question

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Guys, will an an overdrive from a Series II bolt up to a Series V transmission?

Thanks,

Ed

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Yes but if the OD has an adapter on it (for an SII transmission) it will not work on a late SIV or any SV transmission since some oil passages are different between the early and late transmission cases.

To be simple, the OD gearbox you use, requires a specific adapter casting between the gearbox and the OD unit.

OD units themselves are generally interchangeable since nearly all have 10 spline inputs and 10 spline outputs, though I hear that there are some that have 25 spline outputs.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Ed, If you are planning to ADD the OD to a SV tranny, one that does not already have an OD, you'll also need a different mainshaft. The mainshaft on the reg tranny is different than the mainshaft on an OD tranny. But of you already have an OD on your SV and are simply replacing it with an SII OD then I think that means you have the right mainshaft and then RootesRacer's answer means you can swap, by using the SV adapter housing.

Tom

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks to both of you for your responses. There is an overdrive for sale here in Seattle that I was wondering if it would work for me. I will pass on it.

Ed