• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive Problems

CptTom

Donation Time
This is a SV with an OD transmission. My problem is with the OD safety switch on the transmission. The transmission does not have a safety switch and apparently never had one. I am getting the impression the PO converted the car to OD and neglected many details. Anyway, while the transmission is out of the car I decided to install the safety switch and deal with the other wiring details later when its not 100 degrees in the garage. Sunbeam Spec. supplied the safety switch. My efforts to fit the switch to the transmission have failed to work. I have fitted the switch to the right side of the trans. as per info on this site and from WSM 145. No matter what I do the results are not at all what is specified. It appears that the cams on the selector assembly are not correct. As anyone run into a problem like this. I have adjusted the switch endlessly and its not even close to doing what its suppose to do. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

CptTom

Donation Time
Thanks for the reply Ken. No there is no backup switch on the left side. I have figured out the problem. Apparently the PO put a shift knob on the shift lever with the wrong shift pattern. Once I took the time to check where 3 and 4th gears were actually located, with a little adjusting the switch worked as designed. All my fault, I never compared what was on the gear shift knob with the info in the WSM.