• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Overdrive on a Series 1

Dan Cooper

Gold Level Sponsor
Gents-

The overdrive in my Series 1 (Haworth Kit) has stopped working this year. Can you all walk me through a test sequence for the relay, solenoid ?

None of the spade connectors have power at the relay, either in 1st with switch off, or in 4th with switch on.

thanks--

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4964.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4964.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 41
  • UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4963.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4963.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 39

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan,

It's hard to tell from your photos how your car is wired. The fact that the relay looks to have only 4 connectors would indicate that it is a non-cancelling arrangement . But the yellow colored wires seem to indicate it is using later series wire, but maybe actually connected somewhat like the SI connections.

See the wiring diagrams for SI and S3
http://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/s1_diagram.pdf

http://sunbeamalpine.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/s3_diagram.pdf

Note that the SI (and SII also) use green wires (with different color tracers) on the OD circuit. Note that the OD switch gets power directly from the green circuit, which is switched by the Ignition switch and also fused. If your car is wired this way, then the relay should have 12 V at the relay whenever the OD switch is ON, regardless of the gearshift position or the Top Gear switch. In the SI and SII factory wiring the Top Gear switch switches the Ground path not the power source. You say you get no 12 V anywhere on the relay with the OD switch ON (and the Ignition key ON also I assume) I assume your other "green wire" circuits , like brake lights, blinkers, gauges, and windshield wiper are working so I am guessing that the green circuit is OK, but either your OD switch is bad or your OD is wired more like an S3 .

In the S3 diagram see the wiring of the OD. The power to the OD system comes from the "white" circuit,( switched by the Ign Switch , but not fused). The white wire for the OD relay goes to the Top Gear (or Gearbox) switch and from there via Yellow wire to the OD Relay. And then the OD switch controls the Relay On /OFF by completing the circuit to ground. Note the S3 uses the self cancelling relay and switch but the wiring arrangement could have been easily changed to use the simpler 4 pin relay and simple On/Off switch. If your car is wired this way, (that is, the 12 V power goes first to the Gearbox switch) and you find no power at any relay pin even with the gearshift in 4th gear, then I would say your problem is with the gearbox switch. And if that IS the problem it's quite likely that the problem can be solved by removing some shims that are used to adjust the "reach" of the plunger on the switch, such that in 4th gear the switch actually gets actuated.

Hope this helps.

Tom

Dan Cooper

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks a bundle Tom I'll be in touch as I work my way through.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4965.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4965.jpg
    436 KB · Views: 31

Dan Cooper

Gold Level Sponsor
Well I assumed the wiring is per the later models, with the white wire as supply. Hot in the engine compartment, climbed underneath and low and behold a white wire off the post on the drivers side of the trans which I assume is the switch. The white is hot with the ignition on. I need some longer needlenose to get it back on but Sure seems it will work with power connected. Eureka !

Dan Cooper

Gold Level Sponsor
Yes I powder coated the wheels and left the trim rings off for that reason. Exterior interior all original, but I redid the suspension, brakes, did the Vizard thing on the head and put in a cam. Really fun car but still working out the kinks.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Hi Dan,

Your car looks like Lake Blue which wasn't available on Series I cars. Are you sure it's not a Series II?

Mike

Dan Cooper

Gold Level Sponsor
1962. I thought that was a Series 1, but-

Put on heat shrink connectors, added some length to the wire to the solenoid, routed better and zip tied, and the overdrive works great.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Definitely a Series 2 car in Lake Blue with properly coloured upholstery. A real copy of the 007 car. Great and good to hear your OD works now...

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
The OD relay should mounted on the right side firewall, not where it is now. Thats why the wiring is all electrical taped together.
Also, the wheels are body color for S-II, but it looks nice.
Jan

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Jan, I’m sure you’re correct about the location and its effect on the harness, but I think
a contributing reason for the electrical tape is that the harness is for the self cancelling circuit of a late Series modified to work with the early Series switch and relay, wired more like a late Series with the tranny switch switching power rather than ground.

Tom

Last edited: