• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

overdrive inhibiter switch

67brg

Silver Level Sponsor
The od jumps in and out but if I hold the gearshift lever to the right, all is good. This tells me the switch needs to be tightened or shims removed because of wear. Other than that the unit works great. My question is: how do you get a wrench on the switch to tighten or loosen without dropping the rear of the trans to make room?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
If you cant do it with the trans in-situ (I should imagine that you can), then drop the propshaft, remove the bolts on the trans mount assy and carefully tilt the engine and trans to the rear.
Have someone mind the fan so it doesnt puncture the radiator.

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Maybe try the king dick adjustable spanner on the bolt?

Assuming you have a series V... if you need to lower the gearbox tail shaft slightly, the fan is no issue. No part of the fan moves towards the radiator as the engine is tilted back. You probably need to remove the clutch slave from the bell housing due to the fixed pipe connection to the clutch master. Keep an eye on the engine compartment items near the firewall - air cleaner, oil filler neck & cap, etc. They should be ok if you are not lowering much. Also keep an eye on the radiator hoses. If you have the black plastic fuel line, it can be left connected.

Mike

agmason54

Donation Time
Beamers
Why not remove the carpetand insulation from the tunnel and remove the access panel or would that be too easy?
Agm

67brg

Silver Level Sponsor
My car did not come with the od. The only access is the fill grommet. Did the od cars come with an access panel? If they did, I was thinking of cutting one.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
My car did not come with the od. The only access is the fill grommet. Did the od cars come with an access panel? If they did, I was thinking of cutting one.

My non-OD SV has the access panel on the top of the tunnel. Its edges and its screws were obscured by that sound-deadening(?) tar paper.

alpine_64

Donation Time
All the alpines have the access panel, its likely hidden under some glued on insulation. Carefully remove the carpets and you'll see it.

agmason54

Donation Time
My SV has no OD either but it could have backup lights in the same placethat use the identical switch.You could drop the tranny down and see the access better from the bottom or pull the motor and tranny out in one lump to get at the switch better.I like your idea about cutting a hole best!!
Agm

Last edited:

67brg

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for everyones response. Car is in storage now and I will look for the access panel in the spring.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am able to access the switch from under the car. It is snug, but an average sized hand can get to it. I was able to reach up and pull the two wire connections off pretty easily. Loosening the screwed-in switch was doable only by using the King Dick adjustable wrench. I think any similar short (but wide) wrench would also work. Some switches, including the one I removed, have an "asterisk shaped" head, but the replacement one was hex head. The King Dick wrench worked OK on both. It's pretty oily up there so the threads are snug but not rusted, so It does not take tooooo much effort get get it loose. But I don't think it can be loosened without some kind of wrench or tool. And there is not room for a full sized Crescent wrench. I think there are some jar lid removing tools that might also do the job

Tom