• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

original license plate

ladybeamer

Donation Time
My car came with the original CA black license plate. Does anyone know if these can be used in any other state-such as Alabama? I was told they could but I can't find any info on how.

Alpine Bob

Donation Time
Caroline,
Each state has their own rules, your best bet is to go to your local DMV office and pose that same question to them. In Georgia you can run a Georgia license plate of the year your car was built, but you have to register it with the DMV. I have also been told that within Georgia you can run that tag as long as you have your up to date tag in the car with you as you drive. I hope this helps.:)

serIIalpine

Donation Time
My car came with the original CA black license plate. Does anyone know if these can be used in any other state-such as Alabama? I was told they could but I can't find any info on how.

The original plate for your car was yellow with black letters, It had a small square with the number 56 in the square and it had a reflective sticker with the year 1961 on it.

All Plates in California were yellow up until 1962.

Eric

'62 SerII
Yellow plate

Armand4

Donation Time
Whatever you do, don't throw away the black plates. Even if you're not in California, they're an interesting piece of history that adds to the value of the car. For what it's worth, CA won't let you re-register the car with black plates (1963-1970) unless they're the same plates that were on the car before; on the other hand, if you have a matching pair of 1956-1962 yellow plates, you can do a "Year of Manufacture Plate" deal at the DMV and use them on your '56-62 car, even if another vehicle was originally registered on those plates. That's why the yellow plates in good condition are getting so expensive!

66Tiger

Donation Time
You need to contact your DMV.

Their website mentions vintage license plate registration but is pretty vague as to what plate you can register.

--------------------------
Requirements:

You must be an Alabama resident.

Your vehicle must be at least 30 years old.

You cannot use the vehicle for commercial purposes, or for general purposes such as driving to work, school or running errands.

Your vehicle is a private passenger car, truck (under 26,000 pounds), motorcycle, or fire truck with its original body, chassis, engine and transmission. The state will accept replicas and close approximations to the original model's body and parts.

---------------------------

I would be very surprised if they allowed any plate other than an Alabama vintage plate to be used...most states work that way.

Paul