• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Origin of auto air-conditioning

Nickodell

Donation Time
A Little Known Fact......

The 3 Goldberg brothers, Norman, Hyman, and Maximillian invented and
developed the first automobile air-conditioner.

On July 17th, 1936, the temperature in Detroit was 97º. The 3 brothers walked into old man Henry Ford's office and sweet-talked his secretary into telling him that 3 gentlemen were there with the most exciting innovation in the auto industry since the electric starter. Henry was curious and invited them into his office. They refused and instead asked that he come out to the parking lot to their car.

They persuaded him to get into the car which was about 120º - turned on the air-conditioner and cooled the car off quickly. The old man got very excited and invited them back to the office, where he offered them 5 million dollars for the patent. The brothers refused saying they would settle for 3 million but they wanted the recognition by having a label "Goldberg Air-Conditioner" on the control panel of the a/c.

Now old man Ford was more than just a little bit anti-Semitic, and there was no way he was going to put the Goldberg's name on millions of Ford cars. They haggled back and forth for 2 hours and finally agreed on 4 million dollars and that just their first names would be shown.

Which is why, to this day, Ford air-conditioners show on the controls, the
names Norm, Hi, & Max.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
AC Origin?

Ya know the scary part?

With everything Nick shares on this board (and the history lessons) you read something like this and don't know if he's kidding.......:eek:

Nickodell

Donation Time
My bad, as the modern saying goes. OK, if it's history you want:

The first attempt at cooling closed sadan automobiles consisted of a bucket of ice placed on a running board, with a vent allowing air passing over the ice to enter the car. Probably about as much use as pyssing [sp. to avoid censor] in the sea.

The first car with a true refrigeration system was the 1939 Packard. The evaporator was so large that it took up the entire trunk, and the only control was a blower switch. It was all or nothing. Packard advertised: "Forget the heat this summer in the only air conditioned car in the world."

Cadillac followed in 1941 with 300 air conditioned cars. These early systems had one big snag: there was no compressor clutch, so the compressor was on whenever the engine was running. To shut it off you had to remove the drive belt. After WWII Cadillac advertised a new feature: air conditioning controls. These were located on the rear package shelf, which meant the rearseat passengers had to work them, or the driver had to climb into the back seat to do this. It was still better than reaching under the hood.

A/C was a rare option for many years. It wasn’t until the late 60s that sales of A/C equipped cars took off. The 1987 figure for A/C units was 19,571,000 in operation. It's estimated that now over 85% of the cars and light trucks in operation have air conditioning.

When we first emigrated to the States in 1969, from the north of England where a "hot" summer day would be below 80 degrees F, we were not acclimated to the heat and humidity of an East Coast summer. The company car I was issued had no A/C. I worked for Wyeth Labs., a notoriously stingy company (I swear that if they could have done it they would have made you cover your territory on a bicycle) and to get one with A/C you had to live south of the Mason Dixon Line, as if it didn't reach 95 deg. and 90% humidity farther north. When I questioned my new manager about it, he said the car had the "4/60 Air Conditioning System." Asked what this was, he said: "Open four windows and drive at 60." Har bloody har.

I then went down to Sears and had them install the biggest add-on A/C system they had, big enough, they told me, for a panel truck. I guess it was probably around 15,000 BTU. Sure enough, when you switched it on even the big Chevy Impala V8 needed a lot more pressure on the loud pedal, but you could turn the inside of the car into an ice box in a couple of minutes, to the extent that the outside would be covered in moisture like a Coke bottle. Coupled with the huge multi-blade replacement fan, the mpg sank to something like 12, but who cared with regular gas at 28.9c? The next time the manager traveled in the car he immediately noticed the non-standard console sticking out from under the dash. "Who said you could get that?"

"Nobody."

"Why didn't you ask permission?"

"Because you might have said no."

As it turned out, the fleet lease company had no problem as it increased the resale value of the car.

skywords

Donation Time
Remember the first V-35 Bonanzas with the scoop on the top rear of the cabin with the box you filled with ice? Hey it was better than nothing. If I remember right the scoop was made of mag, just the material you want around moisture.:rolleyes:

Rick

A

alpineiv

During the early 70's, when I had long hair, flaired trousers, & paisley ties, I also had a Chrysler Valiant Charger coupe. If I recall correctly Chrysler's factory A/C was branded "Airtemp" . Set it to Max, & this thing would actually spit out small slivers of ice ! :eek:

Nickodell

Donation Time
One of my RAF buddies had an Armstrong Siddeley saloon with air conditioning system located underneath the body! The compressor was, as I recall, driven off a quill shaft running back from a pulley at the bottom of the engine, although I can't recall where the radiator was located. There were two dashboard outlets and the controls were marked Refrigeration.

Speaking of refrigeration: My boss's boss, when we lived in Massachusetts, had a Cadillac (his was air-conditioned!) with an electrical outlet in the trunk into which he plugged a custom-made hamper with sections for sandwiches, fruit and drinks. Each year one of the peons that worked for him was invited to an afternoon on his private beach near Marblehead. When the time came for my wife, 3-year-old son and me, we were driven to the beach, where his wife set out a folding picnic table, and Mr. Knudsen brought out a ready-chilled set of martini glasses and liquor. A glimpse into how the other people live. Can't say my wife and I enjoyed it much - had to be on our best behavior. Wasn't helped by Junior pulling out his **** and peeing in Mr. Knudsen's bit of the Atlantic.

Interesting chap; fought in the Norwegian Resistance mountain ski battalion. Had a picture on the wall of his office being awarded some top medal by King Haarkon.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
4/60 Ac

I think back in the not so distant past when (Prior to crossing any stretch of desert) you placed a canvas bag filled with water in front of the radiator... My Step-Father drove our Rambler Classic (Three on the tree) from Philadelphia to Los Angeles in August 1961. No AC in the Rambler.

Pumpkin

Donation Time
Areoconditionaire or what?

Remember the cooler that hung on the side window on the Desoto.?:D
You had to fill it with water before a trip, The incoming air ran crossed the water in it and blew into the car... Mostley into the passengers right ear. :cool:
If memory serves in 19ought 42 Plymouth had them for the military cars, all painted that wonderful green color.. Then in the 50's they changed colors to a tan and seafoam green.
The last one I saw was sitting on a back of dirt, getting the heck shot out of it by us kids with 22's and shot guns.

Ah, so goe's history and old car stuff.

Cheers

Chuck

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
I'm glad that someone else recalls "460 a/c," which I endured in many family summer vacations to the NC, SC, and FL beaches in the 50s and 60s--and the places we stayed in didn't have any kind of a/c!

This reminds me of "WM External A/C," which meant buying a watermelon mid-route and spitting the seeds out the window, preferably at passing cars with raised windows.

Sam (who made many trips down US 301)

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Forgive the nostalgia which follows, most of which has nothing to do with air conditioning.

Reminds me of our first car with air conditioning--a 1956 Packard Caribbean that my dad bought in about 1958. As I recall, it had everything--a/c, cruise control, leveling shocks (which meant you could alight on an even plane if parked on a slope--unfortunately they tended to get stuck, and you would ride around with one end of the car high in the air for a couple of days), automatic radio antenna, and a radio that, with a push of the button, would seek out the strongest station (which, in the South of that era, was probably some evangelist spouting stuff that made little sense). White leather reclining seats. Vinyl roof. Pushbutton transmission selection in the middle of the steering wheel ("where it should be!"--like an Edsel!).

Years ahead of its time. Which it was. None of this stuff worked, or at least worked only fitfully. It was like an intergalactic spacecraft that had been wired by Lucas! It had a flathead straight 8, automatic transmission, and would, if moved to do so, run like a bat out of a Tim Burton movie. But it didn't run very often, including the first time we took it out, when it stalled at a stop sign a few blocks from our house, shut down and wouldn't restart, and I decided, at age 10, to walk home, saying, "See you later, Lemonmobile!"

Daddy was, like most men of his era, a segregationist, and his choice of white cars, which lasted from about 1958 through the next dozen or so years, now strikes me as significant--symbolic. At some point there, he switched to gray, which must also have some kind of meaning. Those of you who grew up in the South in this era will know what I mean. Others may have a hard time understanding it. We look back on those times and see that there are, perhaps, levels of symbolism we didn't see at the time. As for air-conditioning, I still know people here--in the tumid, humid Gulf Coast--who prefer to live without it. They have my sympathy, but not my understanding. Like people who fly Confederate battle flags (which never flew over any Confederate capital building) as symbols of what they call "pride." Let's get on with it, folks! Stay cool!

At one point Daddy had that Packard loaded on a train and shipped to Detroit to have it fixed. But it never got fixed. One thing after another, most of them in rapid succession.but it never ran for more than a few days at a time.

Perhaps, indicating his stubbornness and brand loyalty, the next car he bought was a Studebaker (which had absorbed hapless Packard by then). But it was a Lark, the most stripped-down, unadorned, white-on-white vehicle one could imagine. Bone white. Gray plastic interior. He was a traveling salesman and got, I think, about 200,000 miles out of it before trading for a Plymouth Valiant (off-white, gray interior), equally proletarian and even more reliable. Neither of which had any a/c.

Then, after we thought he'd learned his lessons for good, he switched to early 60s Thunderbirds. I took my driver's test on one of these, a metallic gold 63 model, and loved the bullet-like look of the car. But driving it was like trying to roller skate on a teflon rink! You always had the feeling that, at any moment of stress, you'd look out the side window and see your own rear bumper passing you. Still it had one redeeming feature, a "pull-aside" steering column that significantly expanded the front seating area and access to the back seat. Think: drive-in movies.

In his later years he shifted to Oldsmobiles, which he swore by, and ended his mortal term with a Chevy Bel-Aire and, later, a Vega. By that time, he didn't have far to go, in both the literal and the metaphoric sense. They were awful cars, but they got him reliably to the hospital and back.

My sophomore year in college (1967) I was severely injured (knee) in spring football practice. This turned out ok because I eventually went 4-F in the middle of Vietnam (though I actually was in ROTC and wanted to stay in because of the monthly stipend); still, we ended up with a nice insurance settlement after my hospitalization because I was covered under our family health policy and the school's team policy as well. So, with the money, I said I wanted a car. I'd had a 1960 Mercury Comet for a year (possibly the absolute nadir--not to mention Nader--of American auto design) and it was running, well, erratically.

I was hooked on British sports cars (I can't exactly recall why--James Bond?), and I tried out a few--MGB and an especially tacky sounding Spitfire GT. Amazingly there was someone (moved to our locale--new job, new father, etc.) in our small NC town who had a Sunbeam Tiger for sale. We tried it, she was oh-so-solid, the price was right ($1800 as I recall), and she was mine! I drove her for two blissfull years (the two last, best years of college and, perhaps, my happiness in life) and have missed her ever since.

This is why I am on this forum and beginning what is now an old man's fool's quest to get some small portion of that past back before it's gone forever. Bless you all, and bless the Sunbeam marque. I love it that so many good folks are devoted to keeping these cars on the roads, and I hope to join you there soon.

All of which has little to do with the history of air-conditioning. But does, in a way. It's all about being cool. Driving a Sunbeam is cool. Stay cool, my friends.

Sam

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Remember the cooler that hung on the side window on the Desoto.?:D
You had to fill it with water before a trip, The incoming air ran crossed the water in it and blew into the car... Mostley into the passengers right ear. :cool:
If memory serves in 19ought 42 Plymouth had them for the military cars, all painted that wonderful green color.. Then in the 50's they changed colors to a tan and seafoam green.
The last one I saw was sitting on a back of dirt, getting the heck shot out of it by us kids with 22's and shot guns.

Ah, so goe's history and old car stuff.

Cheers

Chuck
I remember those window air coolers. My dad bought a brand new 1952 Willys, with the F head six and overdrive. We took our first of many trips to California, from New York in it. My dad bought one of these coolers, because he had heard about the heat in the desert going to California, on route 66. The youngest of my sisters, (she is five years older than I), and I got into an argument about who was going to sit next to the cooler, because we both wanted the cool air hitting on us, while the rest of the car was a bit warm. Since I was smaller, she always picked on me, so she won the argument. I was mad about it, till the next morning. She woke up with the worst cold I think she ever got in her life. I was so glad, and I taunted her every time she sneezed, coughed, or complained how bad she felt.

I knew I shouldn't have gloated about it, but it just seemed like justice prevailed. I loved it.

Jose :D

Nickodell

Donation Time
And before there was air conditioning:

SwimmingHolePP.jpg

Nickodell

Donation Time
Remember the first V-35 Bonanzas with the scoop on the top rear of the cabin with the box you filled with ice? Hey it was better than nothing. Rick

No, but (at the other end of the heat/cool scale) I do recall my dad saying that the Lancaster bomber in WWII had the heat outlet (from the inner port engine) coming out between the navigator's legs, with the result that he was always too hot while the rest of the crew were progressively colder the farther they were away from the source. So the nav. often flew in his shirtsleeves while the poor bloody tail gunner - the farthest away and also with part of the plexiglas of the already drafty turret removed to improve night vision - was always freezing cold, even with an electrically-heated suit.

The result was that most navs were rendered (temporarily) infertile because of over-warm nuts, while not a few rear gunners were so stupified by cold that they went to sleep, and many bombers were probably lost to night-fighters as a result. The rear gunner's position was a two-way bargain. In a fighter attack he was almost always the first to die (sometimes the only one), while in a crash, being at the ass-end he was not uncommonly the only one to survive.

My wife's cousin Ron was a rear-gunner in a Stirling bomber which, during a raid, was hit by antiaircraft fire. In a panic the pilot yelled to everyone to bail out, which Ron did by grabbing his parachute from the rack and taking a header out the escape hatch. After his departure the pilot realised that the aircraft was still under control and ordered everyone else to stay. The irony was that although they made it back to England and landed OK, a week later they were all lost. Now the funny bit:

This is from an article Ron sent my wife. It was printed in the Sydney Herald (he emigrated there in the 60s):

"After he came down by parachute he was immediately approached by irate German Volkssturm soldiers whose city he had just been bombing. Trying to remember the few German phrases they had been taught in survival training, he came out with what he thought was the Deutsch for 'do not shoot' - schiessen-ze nicht, the first word of which is pronounced 'sheesen.' Unfortunately, what came out of his mouth was scheissen, pronounced 'shyesen.' What he had yelled at them was 'don't sh*t yourselves,' and what followed was a ragged fusillade, one of which clipped an epaullet off his uniform jacket, accompanied by Gemanic oaths. Luckily for him their aim was poor and finally an officer intervened."