• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

One of those days.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
I was looking at the V6 I'm using on the new project and noticed that one of the cast threaded tubes at the top of the timing gear cover (where the alternator bracket mounts) had a strange curved line and appeared to have something that once ooozed out... Sure as heck, that had cracked once and was epoxied back on. :rolleyes: (Came off anyway) Further inspection revealed that the threads are messed up. Lovely...

Question? Can a casting be repaired or am I suddenly on the market for a timing gear cover? Anyone have one or are they available thu NAPA or someone else?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I was looking at the V6 I'm using on the new project and noticed that one of the cast threaded tubes at the top of the timing gear cover (where the alternator bracket mounts) had a strange curved line and appeared to have something that once ooozed out... Sure as heck, that had cracked once and was epoxied back on. :rolleyes: (Came off anyway) Further inspection revealed that the threads are messed up. Lovely...

Question? Can a casting be repaired or am I suddenly on the market for a timing gear cover? Anyone have one or are they available thu NAPA or someone else?

Most any casting can be repaired by welding. That is true of both iron and aluminum castings. The big problem is finding someone with the equipment and ability to do the job. The threaded hole can be filled with weld and redrilled and tapped, or helicoiled, depending on the circumstances. It might be easier to find a new casting. Depends on the part availability and local supply of welders.

Bill

skywords

Donation Time

What is the material? I have a T.I.G. and would be glad to try and fix it for you. The preffered method would be to replace it. PM if you like.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Busted

Thanks guys. If all that was wrong with it was the thread I would have gone with the helicoil. A portion of the of the wall is gone. I'll look for a cover but will contact Rick when I get closer.

Rick,-How you doin'?

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time

I haven't actually purchased anything through them yet, but you can search junkyards at car-part.com. I guess you have to be sure what you're after.

Are these the correct part? Indicates there's one in Tucson, Catalina Auto Recyclers.
http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/sea...=price&userUID=0&userBroker=&userPage=1&iKey=

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor

skywords

Donation Time
Thanks guys. If all that was wrong with it was the thread I would have gone with the helicoil. A portion of the of the wall is gone. I'll look for a cover but will contact Rick when I get closer.

Rick,-How you doin'?

Oh I'm OK just a little nervous about the surgery on Thursday. I always wanted to loose weight.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rick,

I understamd your being nervous. I have undergone several surgeries myself and can understand your concern. I want for you to have confidence, because I will be praying for your surgery and soon recovery. At what time do you go in to surgery?

Jose

Oh I'm OK just a little nervous about the surgery on Thursday. I always wanted to loose weight.