• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

One more Miata motor install

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Remember the early Series braces are in a different spot then the later Alpines. They are inboard around 2 inches. I had to move mine to clear the 1.6., and they just fit. The 1.8 has a completely different manifold and it may clear better.
RIMG0003-L.jpg

RIMG0001-L.jpg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I got my parts back from the powder coater for the rear brakes on the RX7 rear end for my Alpine.
RIMG0001-L.jpg

RIMG0002-L.jpg

RIMG0009-L.jpg

RIMG0010-L.jpg

Now I need to cut down the rear end 7 inches

pcmenten

Donation Time
Automotive artwork.

I like your choice of using contrasting black/red - it adds more interest than just one color. Remind me, did you do some smoothing of the caliper before you had it powder-coated?

My brother Nils just sent back a bunch of vapor-blasted aluminum parts for my V6 engine - intakes (stock and Offy), Ford cast alloy valve covers, and aluminum water pump. I'm trying to resist my tendency to gold-plate my project until I get it closer to running, but I got a good deal on the work (a trade).

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I had the anti-rattle plates powder coated the match the caliper, I think it looks better and matches the Sunbeam front caliper.
before
RIMG0004-L.jpg

after
RIMG0002-L.jpg

my front, they are all the same color.
RIMG0006-L.jpg

Last edited:

W2 & Lora

Donation Time
Fab kit

Wonderful work! This is making me seriously consider this route over the Ford V6 transplant. Have you though about making more of your engine and transmission mounts and selling as a kit? Perhaps reworked exhaust manifolds as well. Basically, you could do for the Miata projects what Jose did for the V6s. I would certainly be interested in sucha beast.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you, I wish I could. I have owned my car for 39 years and this is my second motor swap, so my car is not close enough to use as a pattern. I also did a lot more cutting then the guys before me that installed Miata motors in their Alpines. My car well never go back to stock, I think the other Miata installs could. There are good and bad with both motor swaps, the Miata motor is a modern EFI, 5 speed that 5th gear is an overdrive gear (70 mph at 3200 rpm, and they are easy to find and cheap, and have a lot of go fast parts available up to 600h.p. You will have to be ready to do a lot of fab work to install one, and well love driving it when done. I have helped two friends install V6's with Joes kits, they are great kits and very thought out and can be installed with your average tool box. Joe is also very helpful with any questions. I live in California where the gas sucks and always jetting the carburetor gets old, so the Miata was a good choice for me.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I have been driving my car so much, I had to add LED strip lights under the dash and a drink holder :D
RIMG0001-L.jpg

IMG_3227-L.jpg

IMG_3230-L.jpg

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Thank you Chuck
The drink holder works great. We went to the Clovis British Car Roundup about 120 miles from home. It was a lot of fun to be with other Sunbeams, 2 Alpines and 2 Tigers. It was fun to watch people try to figure out what the motor is. I did get second place, only losing to one of the rarest right hand drive Sunbeam Tiger I have ever seen. I think second place at a show where most people look for all original cars was unbelievable.
IMG_3244-L.jpg

IMG_3241-L.jpg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Nice turn out, the tiger has JAP wheels, cool UK touch.

You say one of the rarest tigers, what was specifically rare about it?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Well, it's close. My son has found a first generation Miata that he wants to buy and work on. Looking forward to working on it!

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Hello Jay
Did your son get the Miata?
The sickness continues, myself and my friend Paul made an oil fill cap for my Sunbeam that matches my wheel center caps.
gas%20cap-L.png

RIMG0003-L.jpg

oil%20cap%201-L.png

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
So cool!

No Miata. We looked at a few and they didn't endear any love.

But as a totally different direction (and admittedly totally off topic), my wife's SUV now has 250,000 miles on it (a truly great car - 2002 Acura MDX). Still going. She wants to go electric next, but not until the next generation of cars. She had a "sporty" Honda Prelude when we met and she'd like a sporty car too. So we are thinking of buying a new Honda for my son, but that she will be the primary driver for a few years until he graduates college. So we are now on the list to buy one when it comes out: the Honda Civic Type R, first to America. I don't know that she fully appreciates what she might be getting herself into!