• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

On a rainy day in Washington

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
SAOCA Treasurer Tracy Skinner met in Puyallup Washington and visited (recently) renewed member Bill David. We were joined by member John Tremain. We got a tour of Bill's fleet of projects and stash of Alpine parts/ More than anything, Bill is a life long resident of the area and even more, a great asset with his knowledge of the Marque.

Tracy and John had to get back but Bill knew of a neglected Series V and mentioned he was hopeful to rescue it. So we hopped intothe Honda and off we went into the rain. Sure enough, there it was and the owner was in the garage. We inspected it closely. I either developed xray vision or the floors and trunk were transparent. Bill made the deal and we ran back to his place and fired up the van, grabbed a great burger at a 50's era diner, that was there in the 50's, went to U-Haul and got the necessary tow rack, when back for the Alpine. Aired up the tires and with the help of the neighbor got the car secured.

Back thru the rain to Bill's and unloaded it. Attached is Bill with one of the discoveries. He lifted the carpeting and confirmed this is a Washington car. Moss on the underside of the carpet.

Thanks Bill, John and Tracy. Best day I've had since I moved to Washington. :D

Attachments

• Bill1.JPG
    Bill1.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

gordonra

Donation Time
If you cant drive an Alpine, its a nice way to spend a day even if it was in the rain.

Nice job guys...

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Got a few cars stored in Spokane, and even with a fraction of the rain the western side gets, I've still got to stash Dry Z Airs in everything if it's gonna sit for longer than a couple months. It sucks....

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I lived in Seattle for almost 27 years and the rust free California Alpine I took there when I went, was still rust free after all that time, because I drove it every day and so did the guy that bought it from me. The Alpine went to Cleveland area and was used a lot. It now resides in Texas and is still rust free. I believe that these cars are made to drive and keep in use, or they will disappear in a cloud of rust.

The Alpine was driven in rain, snow, wind and sunny weather. I believe that driving them keeps them alive. No time for rust to begin, because it can´t catch up with a car in motion.

Jose

p.s. When I redid the interior, I sprayed two cans of undercoating in the interior of the car, which helped to keep the rust worms away.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Undercoating

Same here. Anytime I had to pull a seat out or lift the carpet, I just gutted the car and sprayed undercoating on the floors and trunk. I first did it on my '65 Cutlass as soon as I got it, just because. I had a Corvair that I didn't do it to, and had it sitting in the shed next to the Cutlass for about the same length of time. Anytime I pick up a project I checked for the usual rust, and it was solid, but when I parted ways with it and was loading it up with the new owner, his foot went through the floor. Thankfully he didn't care, but it sure made me realize what happens when you let something sit too long, especially without doing anything to store it :( It was after this that I started doing it to all my projects.

Last edited:

T2C Alpine II

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nice meeting folks

Enjoyed meeting you guys, was a very productive day for me. Appreciate the benefit of your experience as I get underway with my Series II project.

Best to you
John

RootesRooter

Donation Time
John,

Your Alpine's color looks familiar. Was it parked at European Auto Repair on Aurora Ave. about a year ago?

Dick Sanders
Kent,WA

T2C Alpine II

Platinum Level Sponsor
Alpine on Aurora

Hi Dick, you are correct, it's been on Robin's British European lot getting various work for an undisclosed length of time :) Much time and $$ later it is finally coming home as a beautifully cleaned up Toyota 2TC conversion, T-50 five speed transmission, new radiator and some significant floor restoration... Me and the kid finally get a crack at getting the less techinical work done. First step installing new wiring, and the various parts we picked up from Bill David.

John,

Your Alpine's color looks familiar. Was it parked at European Auto Repair on Aurora Ave. about a year ago?

Dick Sanders
Kent,WA