• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Old picture

alpine_64

Donation Time
What's funny is the S3 has the front bumper rotated up and they havent managed to fold the sift top down into the hood boxes.. You can see the side bows sitting on the rear... I guess even when new people couldnt work out the tops.. Here i was thinking it was just the modern day auction houses and dealers..

65beam

Donation Time
This is a neat old photo that would be a good addition to anyone's collection and shows the way things were done in the day. The dealer actually pumped your gas for you and washed the windshield. Are there other states beside N. Jersey that don't allow self service on pumping gas?

Limey

Donation Time
All those futuristic petrol stops are demolished now I guess. Some of those 1950's petrol stations would have looked both architecturally and socially interesting now

Screenshot 2020-06-26 at 11.10.34.png

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just for curiosity's sake, Why do people make it a point to find and mention all the faults with everything but never say anything positive? This is a neat old photo that would be a good addition to anyone's collection and shows the way things were done in the day. The dealer actually pumped your gas for you and washed the windshield. Are there other states beside N. Jersey that don't allow self service on pumping gas?
Oregon also does not let you pump your own gas.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Great photo .... added to my collection! ..... Many fond memories of Marineland with my family as a kid. .... AH, the days of true service, one of my first jobs while I was still in school .... Thanks Warren!

...... David

65beam

Donation Time
I worked pumping gas at the local Gulf station. It was a 24 hour station that was owned by a friends Dad. Several of us worked there while in high school in the mid 60's and he paid us $1.00 an hour. The 3 bay garage was closed from 10 PM to 8 AM so any of us locals that were friends of his three sons could use the garage for our own repairs after closed for the night. The series 4 got a new clutch one night. Washing windshields was something most enjoyed since we could talk to the girls getting gas.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
It's good to see some editing has been done to others posts. I have no problem with nit picking the lack of pre photo prep including stowing a top.
I thought it amusing and like the line I thought it was only car dealers who did this.
Maybe it's a badge of courage to have YouTube videos on how to stow your top.. or erect it. I certainly miss the electric tops in the parked Falcon but to be fair that even took a little folding and tucking.
To get back on topic there's a Torrance Beach Burnout Fakebook page the a pal is a member of and he sent it to me, saying share this with your Tiger buddies . What do those guys know who have cars with the engines in the wrong end... ;)

tylerite3124

Platinum Level Sponsor
This is a neat old photo that would be a good addition to anyone's collection and shows the way things were done in the day. The dealer actually pumped your gas for you and washed the windshield. Are there other states beside N. Jersey that don't allow self service on pumping gas?

Here's a picture of me and my bride Gini with our new 1960 Sunbeam Alpine. It was a wedding gift from her parents. We loved that car until our first child came along and we had to get something bigger! We're still married, by the way.

Rick

Attachments

• First 60 Alpine 1.jpg
    First 60 Alpine 1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 63

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Old pictures are cool whenever I Google stalk or www search former owners , I ask em, hey got any old pictures of your old car?

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
IMG_0435.JPG I grew up on that peninsula. 1965-69. The summer between my sophomore and junior years in high school I sold balloons at Marineland.

Dated a girl from the other school on the peninsula and went to see The Doors at the Hollywood Bowl with her church youth group. Steppenwolf and the Chambers Brothers were the warm up acts.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I recently found an old pic of me and my first car, a 71 Pinto, on the day I left for U S Navy boot camp, Sept 1973.

65beam

Donation Time
Rick's photo probably brought back a lot of memories for him. Wonder where his car is today. I have many photo albums dating back probably 40 years with photos of Alpines, Tigers and other Rootes vehicles taken at events such as TE/AE Uniteds, the Bash at TT's, and lots of other Sunbeam events and British car shows including all of the SUNI's. There are photos of owners with their Beams and it's amazing how many still own those same cars twenty or thirty years later. One of the best photos is a panorama photo of 52 cars and owners in attendance taken at the TE/AE United in Charleston,S C. in 1992. Eric G. is standing at each end of the photo.