• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil Temperature

tigretr

Donation Time
Just thought I would pick your minds and opinions as to what a good oil temperature is to run in an engine. With my new motor, I installed an oil temp gauge which reads the temperature post oil cooler and just before it goes into the motor. I haven't done any really hard driving, but did do one 100+ mile trip and never saw the oil get any warmer than 180 degrees F. It seems to me that is at the very low end of acceptable and it would be better to see it around 200F. The reason I am asking is that I am debating if I should put in an oil cooler thermostat to bypass the cooler if the temperature is below 180F. I have a large 7 quart aluminum oil pan which I think is shedding most of my oil heat.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Brian

Jeff Scoville

Donation Time
Although I'm interested in the answer, I think your best input would come from a racing website, (considering your motor and all)
It is quite funny though, everyone else is more likely to be trying to figure out how to cool thiers down!

tigretr

Donation Time
So, I talked to my engine builder about the ideal oil temp and he said it is between 200-210F. Any less than that and the condensation in the oil may not ever get evaporated out.

Looks like I am going to try bypassing my oil cooler and see what temperatures I get.

Brian

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
Brian,

IIRC, your planning on dual usage for your Alpine - street and track.

I think before bypassing your cooler, you should do some testing by blocking off some of the cooler to reduce its effectiveness. If that helps raise the temp enough, you might consider making some shutters to block the cooler. It would certainly be easier and quicker to open or remove a shutter than to have to install the oil lines and cooler every time you go to the track.

I have not used one before but would the use of an oil accumulator tank tend to reduce the volume of oil actually circulating. If so, then that might help your temp as well.

One final thought would be that you are taking the temp post cooler, you should check the actual sump temp for your operating temp to ensure that you are running high enough to eliminate condensation. If the sump temp is high enough, then I tend to think that your current indicated temp is about ideal for oil on the way to the bearings. It just depends on the delta T between sump and post cooler.

Good luck,

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Pegasus sells an oil thermostat that bypasses engine oil until the temp is reached, this should be what you need.

You drove the car 100+ miles?

Hows the tuning and everything on the ECU?