• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

oil in the plug holes

Limey

Donation Time
Hi,

I was at our annual Alpine spares meet last week and an old hand did comment that the heads with spark plug 'tube' inserts are prone to leaking and the oil gathering around the base of the plug but had no suggested cure.

All the best

Oliver

RootesRacer

Donation Time
i don't know when the change was made, but the late series 5 cars had heads with out the round plug holes .the openings were square .

yes, later alloy heads omitted the spark plug tube.

These are the only heads I have kept over the years since I hate leaks and the smell that goes with them.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
yes, later alloy heads omitted the spark plug tube.

These are the only heads I have kept over the years since I hate leaks and the smell that goes with them.

It´s stated in Chris Mc Govern´s Alpine book that the oil moves up & collects from leaking leaking tappet covers into spark plug tubes.

Appearantly a well known problem even at 1978...

Bernd

65beam

Donation Time
oil leaks were and always will be a part of living with british cars. it's nothing major ,so every time you check the oil you take a shop towel and wipe it out until next time . i have a tag that says that old sunbeams don't leak oil,they are just marking their territory.plus the oil keeps the plugs from rusting.

wframe

Donation Time
I've always considered the oil leaks to be more of a feature than a problem. If you drive your car regularily, it keeps a nice coating on the underside of the car so they shouldn't rust! :D

StefanD

Donation Time
Is there a solution/fix to this problem that anyone knows of? I have a couple weepy spark plug tubes.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
Does anyone actually know how these things are attached???

Do they screw in? Pressed in? Do you need a left handed smoke changer to get them out??

Does anyone actually know?

Thanks in advance.

serIIalpine

Donation Time
So a bead of epoxy around the outer lip would presumably stop the leak?

For my own edification how would one remove one?

Thanks

RootesRacer

Donation Time
So a bead of epoxy around the outer lip would presumably stop the leak?

For my own edification how would one remove one?

Thanks

You really cant get around the whole tube on the inside.

The best you could do is put a bunch of epoxy inside and rotate the head
around to be sure you have coverage.

You cant see around the tube so you have to have faith what you did is right.

Never tried to remove a tube, but f I had to, I'd carefully split the tube and collapse it. If you booger the head where the tube presses in, you'll never seal that sucker again.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
OK, so here's a set from my parts bin. Strangely enough, I seem to have 5 of them in a bag - not sure why 5 and not 4, but there you are.

DSCN1290.jpg