• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil Cooler lines and hardware anyone?

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
I seem to be leaking oil from my oil cooler lines at the oil filter adapter. The leak is at the compression fitting on the hose side of the line. New lines do not seem to be available at either SS or CS. May I ask what any of you have done when replacing these lines? The Moss MGB catalog offers a variety of hoses in different lengths for an MGB (p. 14,15), but is the size of the couplings/hardware the same? If anyone has had to deal with this I would appreciate a recommendation.

Thanks,

Ed

Series V #39512122:confused:

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Ed,
Go to http://www.holden.co.uk/displayprod...l+Systems&agCode=0163&agName=Oil+Cooler+Parts. They are in the UK, but they will make all of the lines. The problem is that the Britts use 1/2 inch STRAIGHT pipe threads for the fittings. While the Britts also use tapered pipe threads, like we in the US, for other things, I have never found fittings with STRAIGHT pipe threads here in the US.
They also have some other neat things, like an in line housing where you can put the sending unit for an oil temperature gauge. They also have oil thermostats, and the sandwitch plates that go between the oil filter and the housing for adding oil coolers to engines that don' have them.
I cut the rubber hoses off and had a shop re-use the fittings to make stainless hoses for me.
Lee

v13311

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks Lee. I have since found out that Alpine - West - Midlands, Sunbeam Surpreme, and Sunbeam Spares, (all U.K. suppliers) sell the correct oil cooler lines (pipes) and couplings in correct lengths and sizes ALREADY MADE UP! I wonder why these are not available here in the U.S. from our suppliers? Unless anyone has any other ideas, I guess I'll have to purchase these from across the pond.

Ed

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I think the lines and suitable fittings are available here in the US.

The problem is perhaps as simple as knowing or not knowing 'talk of the trade.'

For example I contacted numerous Atlanta firms only to be turned down cold.

A nearby mechanic, while he was doing somthing else to my SIV (1725/oil cooler), said he'd get the hoses and fittings replaced as one leaked.

And he did, no problem.

So somebody local talks mechanic talk, but not "my talk" or I just contacted the wrong folks.

He didn't think it a big deal at all.

Maybe I can find out who did the lines, although the fittings are not exact copies of stock.

Allan

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
The lines used on the oil cooler have British Standard Pipe thread they are not US standard pipe so be careful, and you can get them made up here in the U.S. you have to find someone that knows what he is doing. I had new ones made last year and the cost was just under $100.00 and they look just like the old ones that came on the car!

Series3Scott

Co-Founder/Past President
Platinum Level Sponsor
I have only purchased the Monza gas cap from this company for my Sebring tribute car, but was going to purchase the oil cooler and lines from them as well. You might give them a try - and they're in the U.S. !

http://www.batinc.net/mocal.htm