• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Oil cooler kit

alpine_64

Donation Time
Felix,

The early racing competition and HLM oil cooler kits are hens teeth.. and a big ticket item if found.

You are better off using the later SV style cooler base.. they are available .. you get the different OPRV and you can switch to the spin on oil filter rather than canister style.... ( I know it's not original for your SII...but convenient to get filters and not messy to change) also buy a new oil cooler from moss or summit etc... dotn use an original hedgehog one unless you can have it professionally cleaned out .. no telling what's inside it...

daiseng

Platinum Level Sponsor
I know, alligators.

What makes the one in the special tuning kit so hard to find?

Wouldn’t the oil coolers be similar, if not the same, as ones used in other cars of that era like the ‘62 mgb?

alpine_64

Donation Time
I know, alligators.

Wouldn’t the oil coolers be similar, if not the same, as ones used in other cars of that era like the ‘62 mgb?
The cooler isn't the issue for the early style setup...it's oil filter base with the cooler plumbing.. You are talking maybe a few hundred produced....

The series V cars had a cooler as standard and the cooler adaptor is seperate from the filter base , it mounts bellow it.. so they arf easy to find.

And no... The passages are different from early and late filter bases so you can't put a later cooler adaptor under an early filter base.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Wow , think I saw one in a pile of parts but only the filter base. Looks like an Imp one a two row shorter version of the MK2 one.
My first International van had a cannister filter yuck...

daiseng

Platinum Level Sponsor
Got it. Did not know there were early and late adapters. Thank you for that. Another holy grail search for a early alpine owner.
I actually don’t mind the canisters. They look cool. Messy, but cool.
I was going to put the late adapter under the canister base, but now it seems I have decisions to make.
Does anyone have a picture of an early adapter?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Got it. Did not know there were early and late adapters. Thank you for that. Another holy grail search for a early alpine owner.
I actually don’t mind the canisters. They look cool. Messy, but cool.
I was going to put the late adapter under the canister base, but now it seems I have decisions to make.
Does anyone have a picture of an early adapter?
I think I have some photos of them... But maybe check the Harrington gallery... The HLM had them

alpine_64

Donation Time
@daiseng

Felix... Here you go...

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor

Felix,

I'm not aware of your goals or resources so this is just an idea bouncing off the wall.

The later series V style cooler block has a pressure differential valve (#12 in the first illustration) that bypasses the oil cooler when the oil is cold.

Is it still capable of performing to the design specs with today's oils? Probably not.

The adapter for the early series you seek does not have that feature. It's just a to/from cooler adapter. With a bit of research, you could probably machine a block that "functionally" replicates the early series style block, and possibly use more easily available modern style fittings and hose.

Just a thought,

Last edited: