• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Odd 1725 Engine

twautomotive

Silver Level Sponsor
I recently noticed that I have a 1725 engine that does not look "normal". The block is stamped B395008649 but 1724 is not cast on the block. Attached is a picture of the engine and a "normal" block. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks. Tomimage002.pngimage003.png

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
The two blocks were cast at different foundries. The block with "chromidium" is a commercial foundry, IIRC, as opposed to an in house Rootes foundry. Some three main blocks had that same "chromidium" branding.

I wouldn't think either block would have 1724 cast into the block for the simple reason the same five main bearing block was used to produce the smaller "1500" cc home standard Minx engine.

YMMV

RootesRooter

Donation Time
The two blocks were cast at different foundries. The block with "chromidium" is a commercial foundry, IIRC, as opposed to an in house Rootes foundry. Some three main blocks had that same "chromidium" branding.

I wouldn't think either block would have 1724 cast into the block for the simple reason the same five main bearing block was used to produce the smaller "1500" cc home standard Minx engine.

YMMV

Interesting about the different foundries. But why? We've got a mid-SV production VIN here. It's not like Chrysler/Rootes just started cranking out 1725's. There wasn't another strike going on, was there?

Last edited:

husky drvr

Platinum Level Sponsor
But why? We've got a mid-SV production VIN here. It's not like Chrysler/Rootes just started cranking out 1725's. There wasn't another strike going on, was there?

RR,

I've no clue about the labor or social environment, specifically. The Alpine production dates chart shows some steady and decent production numbers in that period - mid 1966. Unusual compared to some earlier series.

The Hunter/Arrow models went on sale in October 1966.

As a Wild guess, someone ordered commercial blocks to cover a perceived shortfall; foundry down for repair or high unit production due to simultaneous old and new model production - could be about anything.

Maybe someone from the SAOC might have a better idea.

ColinLM

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have a slightly similar mystery about my engine block.
I have a '67 Series V with an 1725 engine block that has no numbers at all.
In 2018 I had occasion to attend the SAOC-UK where I got loads of useful information and some good spares as well.
The consensus there on my block was that it was cast somewhere out of the UK but within the former Empire,
perhaps in the Middle East or South Africa.