• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

OD concerns

clhiller

Silver Level Sponsor
Recently I was driving in 4OD, slowed for a corner, downshifted to 3OD and as I started to accelerate the transmission/OD felt like it was slipping. I upshifted to 4OD and continued to accelerate and it felt fine
I tried the 3OD acceleration again later and it felt the same way (slipping, shuddering).
I usually only use OD as a fifth gear and usually no hard acceleration. Accelerating in 3OD is not a usual thing. Could the friction material on the cone clutch be wearing out? I checked oil level and it was fine. There is no hesitation on engaging the OD in fourth at around 3300 rpm, so I don't think the solenoid needs adjusting, but maybe?
Ideas?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Could be a number of things. Yes, a worn cone clutch could do that. It could also be caused by insufficient oil pressure - which in turn could be caused by a worn pump or by clogged filters.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
At the same engine RPM and throttle position, 3rd gear applies 39% more torque to the O.D. unit than 4th gear. If the O.D. is "iffy" (see Kevin's comments), it could be possible to have slippage in 3rd gear and not in 4th gear. The worst case would be at peak torque (WOT @ about 3,600 RPM).

Knightowl61

Gold Level Sponsor
Try draining the oil to see if there is any metal or friction material mixed in it. Put back in if it's clear and had been changed not too long ago.

clhiller

Silver Level Sponsor
The shudder is only 3OD. 3rd has no shudder. The oil was changed apprx 1000 miles ago. I will run it only using 4OD and this winter when I get it up on stands I'll drain the oil, check solenoid adjustment and clean the filter. I will hopefully get a day where I can retest it and see if that will fix it. If not I guess I'll start pulling the pump and relief valve and make sure they are clean. Is a replacement pump body and plunger readily available if necessary?

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
My best guess has already been mentioned. Not holding pressure so check the seals closely. Those should be available, check w/ SS first.

Mike O'D

Gold Level Sponsor
Overdrive Spares in the UK is where I got my parts. I assume they are still in business, but that was a few years ago.