• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

O.D. switch

lgurley

Donation Time
I am replacing a standard transmission with an O.D. transmission. I have found a switch for the column but have no mounting hardware. If no one has the hardware is there a picture someone could send so I can fabricate my own. If possible send picture to larry@crossroadstrans.com

Thnx

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Sorry, I don't have any factory mounting hardware, I put a switch there with my own fabricated hardware, so it's definitely 'doable' even if you don't locate any hardware.

I put a mulit function stalk there that controls my cooling fans and and electric windscreen washer. I don't remember it being much trouble to mount either. My overdrive was already set up through a switch on the dash. Illogical I suppose but after many decades of use in that location, I find it little different than reaching for the gear shift.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Larry I can send you a photo later today. The switch is held in with two metal discs which fit into the spare hole in the turn signal switch housing. Picture cutting the rubber filler plug in half and that is what the two metal discs look like with a hole in the middle that the switch arm goes through and the retaining nut fastens down to. Confused? Me too-a photo is worth a 1000 words so will add one to this post later on....Eric
PS-you think the switches are hard to find? These metal discs are even harder to find! Would not be hard to make though.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
If you have one of the rubber oval plugs that fit in the spare hole opposite from the turn signal, you have a good starting point. I mounted my OD switch using that rubber oval (with a hole drilled through it) and 1 metal plug. I think you could fabricate the metal piece from sheet metal. But it's a bit tougher if you don't have one of those rubber plugs to start with. I think I have a couple.

Tom

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
OD switch clamping plates

Actually, I have a set of these 'clamping plates' on loan to a member of this board who is thinking about reproducing them. Maybe a positive response to this thread will motivate him to get/keep the ball rolling, eh? I have no connection to this repro effort other than supplying a template so ............. what is a set worth to you? Eric is absolutely right - they are really hard to find!

Mark

lgurley

Donation Time
Actually, I have a set of these 'clamping plates' on loan to a member of this board who is thinking about reproducing them. Maybe a positive response to this thread will motivate him to get/keep the ball rolling, eh? I have no connection to this repro effort other than supplying a template so ............. what is a set worth to you? Eric is absolutely right - they are really hard to find!

Mark

I don't know what they are worth but I have been known to pay above fair market value to get what I want.

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
OD Switch holder

Here is a photo. The stock rubber blanking plug is on the far left. The two metal discs which hold the OD switch are on the right. These would be pretty easy to make. The centers are a little bit convex shape but I am sure they would do the job if they were flat. Eric

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
Excellent! Thanks for those photos! All I've got is the OD unit on my car at the mo with none of the electronics. I'm told that I can easily use the early non-cancelling switch and relay even though it's a later OD, so I'm going to use a Triumph Vitesse/early Spitfire column switch which is very similar in design to the Sunbeam one, but isn't cranked (looks more like the indicator arm). These can be had new for about £30 and the relays are easy to find to!

lgurley

Donation Time
Overdrive relay

The guy who does my electrical work told me that he could take two relays from any parts store and make a self latching relay which is the one needed for the SV.
Today he wired it for me and sure enough it works just like it was designed for this car.

I have a schematic scanned to my computer but I have not been able to figure out how to post attachments to the forum. If one of you guys that knows how to attach files to the forum will send me your e-mail address I will send you a copy of the schematic so everyone will have access to it.

It cost me $10.72 for the relays.
The drawing calls for a 7 to 9 amp resistor but a 10 amp will work and can be bought at any Radio Shack.

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
As supplied by Larry, here's the schematic:

Relays.jpg

Cheers

Nick