• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Notes from the Old Country

Nickodell

Donation Time
Latest from my sister in England:

1) Gasoline just passed $11 a gallon. True, that's an Imperial gallon, but still close to the magic $10/gallon US. And still climbing.

2) From her friend in Zimbabwe (Rhodesia). Inflation now closing in on 200,000 percent. Government now printing the most-used bill, a Z$100 million note (remember, since they govt. lopped the last three 0's off the currency last year, that really means Z$100 billion). A couple of these notes may buy you a loaf of bread. This week, that is.

3) I asked her about not allowing William Blake's Jerusalem to be sung in the cathedral. She says that the line "dark satanic mills" doesn't refer to facturies during the Industrial Revolution at all, but to Oxford and Cambridge universities, which Blake believed to be promoters of the Enlightenment and Rationalism movements, and thus a threat to the church and the spirituality of English people. Smart, my sis; a retired school principal.

skywords

Donation Time
Wow $11.00 gal ? Is that US or Euro? Must be US for that would make it $20.00 a gal. At least it pays for healthcare. The world is turning upside down isn't it. Not just here in the US. Just watched a show on our prison system being privatized. We imprison over two million people here, more than any other country in the world. The private prisons are lobbying for stiffer sentences and are actually writing some of the sentencing laws. "Gee" greed strikes again. It is no wonder my son has been in jail for over four and a half years with no trial, that's right no trial. What country is this? I could put my family in my Greyhound and move to Canada and not even look in the rear view. Today is one of those days.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Rick: Don't give up on old America. In most ways it's still the best country in the world. 39 years ago this month I arrived with just $204 in my pocket, after selling our house in England at a loss. Actually, strictly speaking I didn't really have any money at all, as I owed PANAM over $400 for the ticket. (Left wife and 2-year-old son behind for two months to clear up things). Luckily, the company I was to work for (Wyeth Pharmaceuticals) put me up free in a hotel next to the plant in Radnor, PA, until my first pay check came in, and soon I was able to rent an apartment for the family to arrive.

Sure, America has its faults. But so long as humans run countries, so do all of them. What other country would afford the opportunity to buy your first house three years later, starting from less than zero? And a TransAm? And a bigger house with an in-ground pool and an acre of land two years after that. And an even better one two years later?

She said to me, as she has done to countless millions before me: "Welcome. Work hard, obey the law. Contribute to society. Become part of our family." What other country allows legal aliens, fresh off the boat (or plane), to work, own property, start a business, send money abroad, accumulate wealth and enjoy almost all the benefits and protections of a citizen? The only things we couldn't do as aliens were vote, hold public office, and possess a firearm (since rescinded). We also were required to report our address to the local police each year (also since rescinded).

Of course, we applied for citizenship immediately we were eligible - after five years' continuous residence. And what a moving ceremony that was. And how proud we are of our impressive Certificate of Citizenship.

I won't go on, as I tend to get bleary eyed. And mad, when I hear people like Michelle Obama calling American a "downright mean country," after enjoying all the privileges of the best universities, a lucrative profession and a multi-million dollar income.

On a different subject, I am not renewing my 3rd. Class medical certificate, as I think I may flunk it like you did, which would of course disqualify me from flying full-size General Aviation aircraft. In any event the liability and aircraft hull insurance is now astronomical, even when flying rentals. I am looking into the Sport Pilot category, which only requires that you hold a valid state driver's license. I believe the insurance may be only about half. About the only difference I can see is that you can't fly at night, i.e. before or after the official FAA a.m. and p.m. designated times for each date. As I haven't flown at night for some 15 years; big deal.

P.S. Did you consider my idea of moving to San Juan, Puerto Rico, where they still fly DC-3s and you might well find employment?

skywords

Donation Time
I am trying to keep faith and keep the biz going. I have a Starship back in the hanger but we have been running on empty for so long it is hard to get the bills paid. I have a Great Lakes that is done and the customer owes 15K. It is ready to fly and but I suspect his check book is not for he does not return calls. This has been for months, He is a building contractor and if he is like so many other builders right now he is either bankrupt or about to be. We have several commercial properties in this area that were started and abandoned because they have gone bankrupt. Anyway we will prevail but what really hurts is what they are doing to my son and I am powerless to help.

It seems that things are progressing toward a depression. I need to adapt too these hard times, we have before but this time is really scary. Our school bus yard is feeling the pinch and they say they are over budget now. Their tax base is shrinking. My driving will be over for the summer next week and I am going to declare war on this short coming of mine. Diversify is the key, I am going to put my vacuum form machine to work maybe with some-more sunbeam bits like door panels or what ever. If our leaders would allow it to happen we could get back to work manufacturing things here again. Tax breaks for the corporations is not the answer but rather duties and tariffs on imports is. Protectionism you say "you bet" The Chinese practice it and it seems to be working for them. America became great by exporting product and importing wealth, I don't know who told them that doing the opposite is good for us. We built our own damn toasters and shoes. If today's economy is what Globalism is all about they can keep it. As a matter of fact they can stick it up their Knucker holes.

I know what you mean about the medical, I am resigned to never flying anything with four seats again. My hope is to fly a Light Sport someday but right now it is out of the question. You might consider getting a T-Craft or Vagabond and run car gas in it. Lot's of fun and no medical required.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Nick, I see that Zimbabwe is going to issue a 500 mil note now along with special 5, 25 and 50 billion farm notes to pay for crops and such. Everytime I think it's bad for us I remember them.

Rick, hang in there, it may get worse it may not but at least you have your family around you and us you can vent to.

skywords

Donation Time
Nick, I see that Zimbabwe is going to issue a 500 mil note now along with special 5, 25 and 50 billion farm notes to pay for crops and such. Everytime I think it's bad for us I remember them.

Rick, hang in there, it may get worse it may not but at least you have your family around you and us you can vent to.

And do appreciate everyone. Thanks for listening.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, you talking about how great this country was, makes me think you've been listening to Obama. Only he thinks he can bring it back to the glory you speak of.

Bill

Nickodell

Donation Time
Bill, I really appreciate your sense of humor. Let me see:

A rookie senator with no appreciable achievements in his less than two years except to be labeled the "Most Liberal Senator," who got a shoo-in to the seat, the same as he did in the Illinois Senate, who babbles incessantly about "bringing us together" and "reaching across the aisle," but never once even tried to work with Republicans.

Speaking of reaching across the aisle, sat in the congregation for 22 years listening to his pastor spew racist and anti-American hatred, then when challenged first said he never heard any of that, then when people began checking change it to "may have heard some of it." Finally, issued the Monty Python-ish "I never heard some of the worst statements." Huh?

Chummy with William Ayers, the unrepentent terrorist (bombed the Pentagon, the Capitol and the NY Police HQ; got off on a technicality, says today that "I don't regret the bombing. I don't think we did enough.") Sat on the same board with him. Excuse: "Bill Ayers is a tenured college professor." OK then.

In a recent speech said that he would win "All 57 states." (Must have been thinking of Terese Heinz). Also that they speak Arabic in Afghanistan (they don't).

So it's a choice between him and a septuagenarian left-leaning so-called Republican, who would be 76 at the end of his first (hah!) term, with so many policies shared with the Democrats that it's hard to see why he calls himself a Republican.

God help us.

Rick: Since you automatically have a mechanic's lien on the Lakes, my guess is that if you send a certified letter to the owner threatening him with selling it to defray repair and storage costs, he will magically find the money.

We have at least one attorney who contributes to the forum; maybe he can conform what I suggest.

skywords

Donation Time
Rick: Since you automatically have a mechanic's lien on the Lakes, my guess is that if you send a certified letter to the owner threatening him with selling it to defray repair and storage costs, he will magically find the money.

We have at least one attorney who contributes to the forum; maybe he can conform what I suggest.

I only wish it were that simple but it can be a nightmare going down the legal path I've done it before. First you have to have a judgement to sell it. When they get the letter they usually give it to their attorney who magically finds fault with the invoice or some dumb thing like unjust enrichment and first thing you know you are hemmoraging with attorney fees. Contractors play that game very well. I did a full restoration on a Funk for a contractor involving welding fuse tubes all new spars, ribs, leading edges control cables, fabric, boot cowl, engine overhaul. His bill was 64K he only paid 35K so I leaned it. Eventually years later Carma found him in his Bonanza and he hit the granite cloud in Utah. His widow came to me to settle the lean so she could sell. All in all I still took it in the shorts. It almost bankrupted me then. Airplanes are the first thing to be put on the back burner.

Where the hell is Ross Perot when you need him. "We need to lift the hood and fix this thing". "N.A.F.T.A. That giant sucking sound" Little did he know it would be a cyclone of our money and jobs flowing to China that would bring the US to it's knees.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, I see your grasp of what is important in character and politics is right up there with your comprehension of oil viscosity terminology. Pick at the insignificant, miss the important.

Signing off,
30w

skywords

Donation Time
Nick I have to jump in to not defend Barack Obama but rather to set the playing field.

His accomplishments as a junior freshmen of the minority party have been somewhat small if you consider getting 70,000 children of Illinois health care. And increasing Medicare benefits for veterans of his state small. That trumps my life time achievements by a thousand fold.

I don't know much about his relationship with this terrorist but remember the Bush family has been mighty chummy with the Bin Laden family for decades and Dubbya recieved six mill from them to finance his failed oil biz. And I would go so far as to say he probably has kissed the face of Osama at one time.

http://factcheck.barackobama.com/factcheck/2007/12/14/fact_check_on_milbanks_claim_t.php

howard

Donation Time
Rick- I won't tell you to "cheer up!" It sounds like you have a lot of reason for concern in your life right now. I, too, have some worries at the present. Maybe you should do as I intend to do for the next couple of days: Avoid the news.

And to read from the Obama quote,"Our nation's at war, the planet is in peril, the dream that so many generations fought for feels as if it's slowly slipping away," doesn't exactly fuel me to try and make my country/life better. I have no delusions of giddily pulling the handle for some politician this fall that can solve this country's maladies (I have an idea who I'm voting for... but I am NOT happy about this choice). But BY HOKEYS I'm leaving it behind for the weekend.

Hopefully you can find some resolutions to your problems soon.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Rick: Maybe you could get some young, starving attorney to do it on a contingency basis.

The Ross Perot quote I like best is: "D'you know what they call a country that exports raw materials and imports finished goods? A colony."

This may be the first general election that I sit out. There are several good candidates who would have been a better choice for the Republicans than McCain. While I admire him immensely for his war service, for enduring torture and for refusing the offer of an early release to come home while his comrades were still in captivity, for his bravery and (so far as I know) his honesty, many of his policies make me want to scream.

E.g. amnesty for illegal aliens, the McCain-Feingold Act, and joining the "sky is falling" global-warming myth crowd. Here we are, sitting on billions of untapped barrels of petroleum in our own country, going cap in hand to Saudi Arabia: "Please, pleasepleaseplease will you pump a bit more oil to bring the price down? We'll be your best friend!" Then McCain says on the O'Reilly show that he's against drilling for more oil here in the U.S.

howard

Donation Time
going cap in hand to Saudi Arabia: "Please, pleasepleaseplease will you pump a bit more oil to bring the price down? We'll be your best friend!"

I was SICKENED when I heard the President of my country ASKING for oil. I say we hand them the keys and let them drive for a while. Let THEM defend their own country for -oh- ten minutes- then tell them we expect that oil by the end of the week. With a smile.

I'm tempted to sit out this election, too, but there are SOME things I agree with McCain about... can't say that about the other candidates.

Maybe we'll get some leadership from the grassroots up (i.e. we the people) that puts pressure on the leaders to actually do what we elected them to do.

(And pigs really CAN fly.)

Nickodell

Donation Time
When I went through the RAF college, one of the courses was about relationships with foreign people and leaders in countries where we might be stationed, and/or be asked to defend. At the time British forces were keeping the peace, as much as possible, in scores of countries; for example, trying to keep the Greeks and Turks from murdering each other in Cyprus, and the same with various tribes and religious cults in such far-off places as Burma, Lebanon, Singapore and Malaya. The response from these grateful people, most of whom had been liberated from the Nazis and Japanese? British soldiers and airmen were being shot or stabbed in the back (both metaphorically and literally) in Nicosia, Paphos and other towns in Cyprus, and also in many of the other countries.

One thing was drummed into us: "Do not expect any gratitude. If you do, you will be very disappointed." And that was our experience. In country after country the theme was not "thank you for giving us our freedom from slavery, and independence." It was "British and Americans, get out!" (But continue to send millions in economic help. For ever. While we vilify you in the UN). My dad often related seeing Ghandi for a brief moment in Bombay in 1946, arriving for treatment at the office of a British dentist, in a Rolls-Royce (!) bearing large signs: Boycott British Goods. Not quite the simple ghuru at the spinning wheel, as portrayed in the movie.

Closer to home: It was pointed out that Gen. DeGaul (actually, a colonel who gave himself an instant promotion) was spirited out of France when they folded like a cheap camera in 1940, brought to London, housed and fed like royalty, given the facilities to broadcast to France daily, allowed to take part in policy meetings with Churchill, FDR and Stalin, to feed his incredible ego and maintain the myth that France was still a major power or participant in the allied advance, and even put at the front of the US forces liberating Paris so that he could march in triumph down the Champs Elysees.

What was his response for Britain's hospitality, taking him from total obscurity and making him a personality and future leader of his country, losing hundreds of thousands; no, make that millions, of the flower of its youth liberating his country in WWI and II, and bankrupting itself in the process? As president of France, he continually vetoed Britain's application to join the Common Market, at which he succeeded as long as he lived. Germany, who had raped his country twice in 22 years, was one of the original members, along with Italy (another of the Axis powers), Belgium, Holland and Luxemburg. He also made continual sneering references to "Anglo- Saxons," by which he meant America and Britain. Then flying to Quebec and urging French-Canadians to leave the union and declare independence, an act that would have destroyed the country. And today, this mischevious old turd is regarded as almost a saint in France.

Britain and America should have remained in the oil-rich countries in the middle east that they either liberated from the Axis (e.g. Libya, Algeria), or saved from being invaded by them (e.g. Iran, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Qatar, Bahrain). We should have kept control of the oil wells, refineries, pumping stations and tanker ports (all of which were drilled and built by us in any case) for 99 years after the end of WWII.

More recently; in 1991 we should have offered the degenerate, in-bred monarchs in Saudi Arabia a choice: "Either we let Saddam continue through Kuwait and into your desert sand pit, where he will probably cut your throats at the least - or we expend our blood and treasure to repel him and defend you. If you choose the latter option, we take control of your oil wells and we export the oil. We will give you what we think is a fair share of the profits. If you don't like that choice; see ya."

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, as long as we think our problems are oil related and all we need to do is find more of it, we are going to fail. Call me anything you wish, but without energy independence we are no more in charge of our destiny than 10,000 piss ants floating down the river on a log. We simply have to free ourselves from oil dependency as we cannot drill ourselves into independence. History has shown the more oil we have access to, the more we need it.

Bill

Nickodell

Donation Time
Bill: Energy Independence is the goal. The way to that goal is what is in dispute, and unfortunately out of the hands of scientists and economists and subject to politicians and the big-money contributors and environmental extremists they pander to.

Wind (energy, not political). It's not free. The turbines are expensive, have a limited life and require constant attention and maintenance. Over their economic lifetime, wind turbines provide electricity not much more cheaply than fossil fuel. And it would take hundreds of thousands of them to provide the energy we get from imported oil. And nobody wants the view of a horizon full of turbines. The Kennedys are big promoters of wind energy - somewhere else. When it was proposed to build a wind farm offshore from Cape Cod, an area with reliable year-round wind, that old degenerate Teddy ("The Swimmer") vetoed it as it would spoil his view from Hyannisport. And the Audubon Society estimated that large numbers of wind turbines would devastate the bird population of N. America.

Solar. You've got to be kidding. To replace imported oil, an area half the size of Arizona would have to be totally covered in them. And they are hideously expensive. The capital recovery cost would probably put our electricity rates up 35% fro the next 30 years.

Tidal/riverine. Not a practical source of large amounts of energy.

And the above are all suggested for electrical energy. With the current, and near-future state of battery technology, transportation needs will still require liquid fuel for the next 20 or more years. So:

Ethanol. Another stupid, liberal/environmentalist whacko idea that was jumped on by politicians eager to make farmers and agribusiness like ADM rich, while demonstrating to a gullible public that they are "doing something positive" about the environment. The result? It costs more to grow, ferment, distill and transport than the energy it produces. And, following the predictable Law of Unexpected Consequences, is now pushing up the cost of food. You drive your car on E85, and the same corn used to make it can't be used to feed cattle and hogs. Or make tacos in Mexico. It is now becoming obvious that this is helping to upset the worldwide availability and cost of food. Well done, pols.

So?

How inconceivable, absurd, mad, that we are sitting on billions of gallons of petroleum and are being prevented by environmental extremists from using it. Instead, they prefer that we send our money to the middle east, some of which goes to weapons and extremists who are killing Americans. The proposed drilling area in Alaska is not much smaller than Europe, out of which the actual drilling site is about the size of JFK airport. The main objection is that we will "despoil one of the last pristine areas" and disturb the mating habits of caribou.

The same scare was used about the trans-Alaska pipeline, plus that it would melt the permafrost. The fact, after 31 years of operation, is that the careful planning and construction of the pipeline has resulted in no damage to the permafrost, and no harm to wildlife. (In fact, some of that wildlife can be seen close to the pipeline, enjoying its warmth).

Nuclear. "Chernobyl!!" "Three Mile Island!" scream the envirowhackos. And so, we haven't built a new nuclear power station in 30 years. Chernobyl was built on a bad Soviet design never used in the West. Nobody was harmed at TMI. Meanwhile, countries like France get as much as 75% of their electricity from nuclear energy.

Neither have we built a new oil refinery for over 30 years, because of the same people. And refining is both a major bottleneck and existing refineries our most vulnerable target for terrorists.

Coal. We are sitting over enough coal to supply all our energy needs for at least a century. No, I don't mean building a bunch of smoke/sulfur dioxide-belching, coal-burning power stations, like the 1,000 or so the Indians and Chinese are doing. I mean that a country that sent men to the moon nearly 40 years ago, and wins more scientific Nobel prizes than the rest of the world combined, can, I am sure, devise a way to extract energy from coal in a clean way.

As Dr. Strangelove said: "It just takes the vill!" Problem is, there's no votes in any of this, and politicians only concern themselves with things that will ensure their reelection, not what may or may not happen 20 years from now.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Nick, wind energy not much cheaper than fossil?? How cheap does it have to be?

You speak of the impossible infrastructure that have to be built for the alternate energy sources, but think of the impossible infrastructures in place today. For petroleum the thousands of wells, miles of huge pipelines, impossibly huge ocean tankers, refineries the size of cities. That does not even get the stuff to the consumer. For electricity, millions of transformers, incredible miles of wire, used not only in the transportation of electricity, but in the buildings and motors to use the stuff. Any sane person 100 years ago would say it would be impossible. It took a lunatic with incredible genius to see the possibilities.

Petroleum energy has quadrupled in price the past 5 years. A 35% hike in electricity from solar cells would still be a bargain. I believe the major problem is lack of 24 hour sunshine.

Windmills, there are huge areas in this country they could be placed. Some of them are lightly settled, but energy availability could be a huge factor in future planning for growth.

So that kind of thinking does not cut it with me. It can be done if we think it needs to be done.

Okay, so we open another oil field in Alaska. Where will be, energy wise, 30 years later? Probably right where we are now. I think most people realize that and is the major reason it is not a popular idea.

While I have nothing against clean burning coal, it is still something coal and power companies like to talk about.

If you please, keep the cheap political shots out of these discussions. They add nothing, subtract gobs.

Bill

Nickodell

Donation Time
If you please, keep the cheap political shots out of these discussions. They add nothing, subtract gobs.

Bill

Don't be absurd. Political motives are at the core of the problem. And my shots are not cheap, they are rightfully expensive.:D