• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Not a Tiger - but an interesting Anglo-American hybrid.

Paul N.

Donation Time
Just bought this as my current ZT-T 190+ has engine problems.

front.jpg

engine.jpg

rear.jpg

To paraphrase the immortal words of "Bones" McCoy:- "It's an MG, Jim, but not as we know it!" - 100bhp more than the Tiger I and as rare as a RHD Tiger II!!! I believe there's just one in the US of A.

If you think you recognise the engine - yes, it's a 4·6 Mustang lump.

Paul N.

Donation Time
Of course it is! - Although MG-Rover called it a "Tourer" and we call them estate cars.

To be honest, I've never seen the point of a saloon car. If you're spending serious money then it ought to be a convertible if you want fun or an estate if you want practicality. You'll have to forgive my Gordon Keeble and Tatra 603, there were no convertibles or estates of either.

Actually, the ZT-T is both practical and fun and a modified ZT-T still holds the World Land Speed Record for estate cars:- 225·609 mph (360·9 km/h), set during the 2003 Speed Week at Bonneville.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Very unlikely that car would be able to be imported and licensed in the US.

Back before Lotus actually committed to import and deal with the federal safety and emissions for rover engined Elises, many people imported them as strictly track cars as they were not license-able in the states.

That has changed now but one cannot ignore the cost and grief involved in getting the required documents in place for sale in the US.

Another similar situation of which I was a party to involved a late model Pantera, built to Italian specs and shipped here by an overzealous Pantera fan with more money than smarts.
The car was impounded at the shipping dock and left in storage for years till the owner got the papers and funds together to get it to pass safety and emissions requirements for the US market.
In the end, the owner paid many times the European purchase price getting a one off emissions cert to a heavily detuned and rather disappointing performing vehicle.
The 5 liter ford engine originally fitted with 4, 2 bbl IDA carbs at around 500hp, left with fuel injection and 4 catalytic converters that barely compensated for the heavy overlap of the factory cam shaft. I doubt it made more that 250hp in its final state, but the owner does have probably the only one in North America due to the extreme cost.

Paul N.

Donation Time
Rumour has it that the one in the US of A is registered as a "Mustang Station Wagon".

2272082207_1f682c3862_b.jpg

It appears to be exactly the same model as mine - a Mk.I ZT-T 260SE. There were only 21 built and I wonder how many were Trophy Blue!

Interestingly, the work on the Mustang engine to make it suitable for the ZT 260 and ZT-T 260 was done by your very own Roush Industries and there were plans to produce 385 and 500 bhp versions with Roush superchargers so the drive train was designed to easily handle 450bhp. Several have since had the mods done privately.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Rumour has it that the one in the US of A is registered as a "Mustang Station Wagon".

2272082207_1f682c3862_b.jpg

It appears to be exactly the same model as mine - a Mk.I ZT-T 260SE. There were only 21 built and I wonder how many were Trophy Blue!

Interestingly, the work on the Mustang engine to make it suitable for the ZT 260 and ZT-T 260 was done by your very own Roush Industries and there were plans to produce 385 and 500 bhp versions with Roush superchargers so the drive train was designed to easily handle 450bhp. Several have since had the mods done privately.

Sounds like a wee bit of fraud is involved as far as the title goes.
If the owner ever gets pulled over for an infraction, I doubt the authorities will be entertained.

Paul N.

Donation Time
Especially with that bloody great (and rather silly looking) extra MG badge on the back!

AutoX47

Donation Time
Congratulations on your acquisition!

And btw wagons are cool!! Now that I sold the Sunbeam my only car is a suped-up subaru wagon. Want to transport a headboard? No problem. Want to transport 23 desktop computers? No problem. Want to transport 3 sets of race tires? No problem. Want 350 horsepower? No problem :D

Paul N.

Donation Time
Thanks, Andrew - and good to see your name again. I remember it from the old forum!

Even though there's only the one ZT-T in the US of A, "www.Two-Sixties.com" (the main forum for the MG ZT 260, ZT-T 260 and Rover 75 V8) is the featured forum on this months RockAuto newsletter.