• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Non-peaked headlight rim

alpine_64

Donation Time
A few years ago (approx 2005) the avg price on ebay was $Au500 for a pair.. this is before the AU$ climbed. They generally make over $AU380 for a pair of NOS ones (normally well over).

IIRC a certain victorian sunbeam spruker had purchased a collection of them and was selling them on ebay as MKII tiger rims for lots of $'s and generaly listed as "the last NOS pair i have" or "just found another pair, these will be the last".

As a side note the chrome rims were from MKI huskys and early gazelles they are not from MKII's

Rootes 66

Donation Time
IIRC a certain victorian sunbeam spruker had purchased a collection of them and was selling them on ebay as MKII tiger rims for lots of $'s and generaly listed as "the last NOS pair i have" or "just found another pair, these will be the last".
It was the Bloke who reproduces the hardtop quarterlight chrome buttons wasn't it?
Pete

alpine_64

Donation Time
It was the Bloke who reproduces the hardtop quarterlight chrome buttons wasn't it?
Pete

Same seller, yes. Though he is not the guy who actually makes the buttons and rubbers.. that is another member here in AU who does a slect bunch of parts for talbots/tigers and alpines.

65beam

Donation Time
headlight rim

i was talking yesterday to the person that does my body work and we were discussing the selling price of these rims. he said he remembers the times he took chrome rims to uniteds and tried to sell them for 40.00 each and no one wanted to pay that.

alpine_64

Donation Time
i was talking yesterday to the person that does my body work and we were discussing the selling price of these rims. he said he remembers the times he took chrome rims to uniteds and tried to sell them for 40.00 each and no one wanted to pay that.

Kind of like all cars when they go through the beater period.. at that time you could probably buy a nice tiger for a few grand...

My favourite is the book of norman.. apparently they strugled to move them for $45 when first printed.. try and find a copy now for less than a grand.

65beam

Donation Time
headlight rim

michael,
i don't know if i would call them " beaters". there were many nice cars in the 70's and 80's. most probably still had an amazing number of original parts on them. at that time there also were several guys like scott woerth and doug jennings that were restoring and repairing tigers to concorse condition. the big difference was that many of the hard to find parts today including these rims were plentifull then. i think that some buyers paying these prices are newbies to sunbeams and have no knowledge who or where to call to buy parts. ebay is an easy to find source. look how many owners pop up on this forum looking for parts that are easily bought from available vendors. i guess if they want a part in short supply like these MK2 style rims, they're willing to pay a high price for them. i know that i have put some high max bids on some items in the last few months only to be outbid several times.

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
i don't know if i would call them " beaters". there were many nice cars in the 70's and 80's. most probably still had an amazing number of original parts on them. at that time there also were several guys like scott woerth and doug jennings that were restoring and repairing tigers to concorse condition. the big difference was that many of the hard to find parts today including these rims were plentifull then. i think that some buyers paying these prices are newbies to sunbeams and have no knowledge who or where to call to buy parts. ebay is an easy to find source. look how many owners pop up on this forum looking for parts that are easily bought from available vendors. i guess if they want a part in short supply like these MK2 style rims, they're willing to pay a high price for them. i know that i have put some high max bids on some items in the last few months only to be outbid several times.

Bob, by beaters i meant more cheap cars than cars in a state of disrepair.. in the 70's there didnt seem to be much value in a sunbeam and by some of the alpines i have seen im sure meany went that way during the late 70's.

I guess we are lucky that those guys were around servicing and looking out for the cars.. scott was involved in the resto of my tiger in 2003.